Vacation to Gulf Shores, Alabama

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, taking a vacation down to gulf shores shortly we are leaving this Friday. Was wondering who has been there and if there is anything I should see or any awesome fish stores in the area? I’ve found one that I want to check out. Just wanted to hear from you guys!

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my part of Florida, but I hope y'all have a great vacation!
I’m sorry I should have specified! In Alabama. But thank you so much I’m sure we will have a blast!

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on LFS but go to Billy's Seafood and grab shrimp fresh from the boat to boil. You will not be disappointed.
Like the sound of that, thank you I will be heading there!

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, taking a vacation down to gulf shores shortly we are leaving this Friday. Was wondering who has been there and if there is anything I should see or any awesome fish stores in the area? I’ve found one that I want to check out. Just wanted to hear from you guys!
If you like to collect tropicals there’s decorator crabs everywhere on the piers. That’s all I know :0

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like to collect tropicals there’s decorator crabs everywhere on the piers. That’s all I know :0
I will have to keep a look out!

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Frank @fishguy242 ;)...
Yeah I live here/there (GS)... Absolutely NO...NONE...NADA good fish store here...about an hour, depending on traffic, to the nearest...but their stock is limited. Nearly 2 hours to get to better quality stores.

Fun things to do???...hmmm, playing avoid the spring breakers and snow birds is always fun ;) ...seriously, depends on what you like to do...tons of mini golf...food places and watering holes (I don't think the water park opens until May though).

Billy's Seafood is the bomb when it comes to fresh seafood...dont be expecting some nice big seafood store though...its a shack (little bigger) on the edge of the water.

As for wild collection spots...I have not ventured into that aspect of living here...yet.

Favorite food places (from best to ehh, its food)
Big Mikes...bring your gold card, but worth every penny
Bahama Bob's...favorite seafood spot
Sea n suds, classic on the beach place
EHHHJ...too much to type...PM me I'll give you my number... when you getting here?

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We go to orange beach, a few times a year.

Avoid all the tourist restaurants that claim they are amazing. The snowbirds vote those up and they don’t know what good food is. Go home snow birds! :p

Go to Brick and Spoon if you like bloody marys and decent breakfast and sandwiches. Ruby slipper is good too.

Dinner places are really hit and miss for us. Things seem worse since covid. I hesitate to recommend any. I’ve had good food at Villagio Grille. Avoid Cosmos and all seventeen of their other random restaurants, especially during off season.

I’m very interested to hear more of what @Scratch08 knows.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lambert's isn't far and, of course, the Florabama hehehe.
I for the life of me, besides for vacationers and snow birds, have absolutely no clue how Lamberts stays open...15-20 years ago it was good...now ;Vomit ...being local, I don't go to the tourist places unless I have family visiting...;Facepalm...the places I listed above are the only places I will go year round,... no matter what... never ever go to Desoto's...trust me on this one thing if nothing else...

Cosmos...;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious...only 2 of their restaurants will I go to...GT's and BuzzCat Cafe...ohhh, wife said 3 places cause she likes Cobalts too ;Facepalm...obviously I'm not as easily impressed...Im happy to give the low down on any place your interested in...just ask

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We go to orange beach, a few times a year.

Avoid all the tourist restaurants that claim they are amazing. The snowbirds vote those up and they don’t know what good food is. Go home snow birds! :p

Go to Brick and Spoon if you like bloody marys and decent breakfast and sandwiches. Ruby slipper is good too.

Dinner places are really hit and miss for us. Things seem worse since covid. I hesitate to recommend any. I’ve had good food at Villagio Grille. Avoid Cosmos and all seventeen of their other random restaurants, especially during off season.

I’m very interested to hear more of what @Scratch08 knows.
Ehh...Brick and Spoon...I personally wasn't impressed....maybeit was a bad day for them??? There are definitely better bloody Mary's than theirs....

Duck's Diner is good most of the time for breakfast/lunch...

Villagio's has good weekend brunch...little inconsistent though

More upon request... ;Smuggrin

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for the life of me, besides for vacationers and snow birds, have absolutely no clue how Lamberts stays open...15-20 years ago it was good...now ;Vomit ...being local, I don't go to the tourist places unless I have family visiting...;Facepalm...the places I listed above are the only places I will go year round,... no matter what... never ever go to Desoto's...trust me on this one thing if nothing else...

Cosmos...;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious...only 2 of their restaurants will I go to...GT's and BuzzCat Cafe...ohhh, wife said 3 places cause she likes Cobalts too ;Facepalm...obviously I'm not as easily impressed...Im happy to give the low down on any place your interested in...just ask
I haven't eaten at Lamberts in many years and I didn't realize it was poop now.

I have visited many times since, but when I lived in Gulf Shores I can recall them erecting the big US flag near Hazel's Nook, which was just about the only thing in town. You had the pink pony and florabama and wayne's but there was not one fast food place around. Those were the days! Early 80s.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehh...Brick and Spoon...I personally wasn't impressed....maybeit was a bad day for them??? There are definitely better bloody Mary's than theirs....
We went in february and it wasn’t good either. Seems a lot of places we used to like aren’t doing good on this half-capacity thing. Feel free to tell us your Bloody Mary spots though. :cool:

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't eaten at Lamberts in many years and I didn't realize it was poop now.

I have visited many times since, but when I lived in Gulf Shores I can recall them erecting the big US flag near Hazel's Nook, which was just about the only thing in town. You had the pink pony and florabama and wayne's but there was not one fast food place around. Those were the days! Early 80s.
Lol...3 of the 4 are still here...Wayne's is gone... we live 1/2 mile from hazels nook.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We went in february and it wasn’t good either. Seems a lot of places we used to like aren’t doing good on this half-capacity thing. Feel free to tell us your Bloody Mary spots though. :cool:
We went a couple of weeks after they reopened after Hurricane Sally...apparently right after they opened the cities back up to tourists ;Facepalm ...have not been back...wife mentioned the other day we should give it another shot...we will see.

Bloody Mary's ;Drool...sadly, Tacky Jack's has one of the better ones...but only because they use my preferred mix...if you're in the mood for a short ride...20 minutes or so depending on traffic, Gelato Joe's in Foley is top of list...villagio's has decent ones, Duck's Diner is decent, but don't get the $2 special...get a regular one...I'll try to compile a list over the next few weeks and let you know about more...need to go test them all again

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Frank @fishguy242 ;)...
Yeah I live here/there (GS)... Absolutely NO...NONE...NADA good fish store here...about an hour, depending on traffic, to the nearest...but their stock is limited. Nearly 2 hours to get to better quality stores.

Fun things to do???...hmmm, playing avoid the spring breakers and snow birds is always fun ;) ...seriously, depends on what you like to do...tons of mini golf...food places and watering holes (I don't think the water park opens until May though).

Billy's Seafood is the bomb when it comes to fresh seafood...dont be expecting some nice big seafood store though...its a shack (little bigger) on the edge of the water.

As for wild collection spots...I have not ventured into that aspect of living here...yet.

Favorite food places (from best to ehh, its food)
Big Mikes...bring your gold card, but worth every penny
Bahama Bob's...favorite seafood spot
Sea n suds, classic on the beach place
EHHHJ...too much to type...PM me I'll give you my number... when you getting here?
Awesome thanks! I’ll pm you shortly, leaving tomorrow get there in the molting on Saturday.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back