Valentini Puffer Clean Up Crew Ideas!

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my puffer but it will always be a challenge to find a CUC that won't get eaten/terrorized.

I have a tile based bare bottom and fairly intricate rock work with caves and crevices galore. New to BB tanks so looking for a list of good options that can withstand a puffer. In the past my cowries, blue legged hermits and a handful of dwarf ceriths have survived. I also have a LWB that seems to help. Any ideas? Anything that has become an instant snack?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have everything glued down, a tuxedo urchin is a work horse. They will literally make your tank sparkle but your tank must be able to feed them. Eventually they will starve and die if your tank doesn't produce enough natural algae and they eat alot, or you can feed them yourself.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the urchins too. My vanlentini leaves them alone for the most part. I order the dwarf ceriths just for him to snack on. I find he will nibble at almost anything added for a while. I have a large brittle star that he left alone. I think that’s mostly because it is nocturnal and would come out after the puffer tucked in for the night.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine leave the hermits and my 2 tiger conchs alone but the rest of the snails are pretty much on his buffet list.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try a tuxedo after my tank matures. My first one starved fairly quickly in my nano so I will make sure he has plenty to eat. Placed an order for my hermits and dwarfs and figure if he wipes them out they will atleast likely get me out of the uglies in time haha

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck with larger hermits, but then they eat your snails too. Think halloween crabs and Calcinus elegans. I’ve also had luck with conchs since they bury themselves during the day, but I guess that’s not an option since you’re bare bottom.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous setup has a nice sandbed which allowed my money cowries and conchs to hide and clean. Was kinda at a loss with ideas given urchins prefer established tanks and snails are snacks! Appreciate the replies! The good news is that pretty much any nocturnal CUC members seemed to survive just fine

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had money cories with my valentini when I had it and it never killed them. I have the same experience with my C. janthinoptera. I noticed with brittlestars it was a matter of time before you begin to see the legs nipped.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%

Back