Valentini Puffer copper and freshwater dip?

Brooks M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Valentini Puffer has ich. Ive read different opinions on if they can be treated with copper. And also Ive heard that Valentini Puffers cant be freshwater dipped. So whats the real answer?? Thanks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
B

Brooks M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had to use CopperSafe on my V. Puffer three (3) times now—not that I’m happy about it, just passing on my success story for what it’s worth. Allow me to share my way of transfer him without having to use a net (and risk him ‘blowing up’ while netted, while out of water, as I had one do once and stress to death). 1) Get an empty gallon plastic water jug. 2) Opposite from the handle, cut out a piece of the top front of the jug with a sheet rock knife, about the size and shape of the heel of a man’s dress shoe. This is where the fish will enter as you slowly pull the jug through the tank to capture him; they are pretty slow moving, as you know. (If you make it ‘low tide’ in your tank, it will be even easier.) 3) Put some large ‘slits’ in the bottom of the jug with your knife. So here’s how it works: Gently scoop up your Puffer into the jug, and then lift the jug straight out of the tank. Water will begging to drain out of the bottom of the jug, into your tank. Have a big bucket and move the jug over the bucket so now water continues to drain out into your bucket, without messing up your floor. Walk the jug in one hand and bucket in the other over to wherever you are transferring your Puffer to—likely to your QT. When the water in the jug gets down to about 2”, POUR your Puffer into the QT and he will never feel as if he has ever been out of water.

OP
OP
B

Brooks M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had to use CopperSafe on my V. Puffer three (3) times now—not that I’m happy about it, just passing on my success story for what it’s worth. Allow me to share my way of transfer him without having to use a net (and risk him ‘blowing up’ while netted, while out of water, as I had one do once and stress to death). 1) Get an empty gallon plastic water jug. 2) Opposite from the handle, cut out a piece of the top front of the jug with a sheet rock knife, about the size and shape of the heel of a man’s dress shoe. This is where the fish will enter as you slowly pull the jug through the tank to capture him; they are pretty slow moving, as you know. (If you make it ‘low tide’ in your tank, it will be even easier.) 3) Put some large ‘slits’ in the bottom of the jug with your knife. So here’s how it works: Gently scoop up your Puffer into the jug, and then lift the jug straight out of the tank. Water will begging to drain out of the bottom of the jug, into your tank. Have a big bucket and move the jug over the bucket so now water continues to drain out into your bucket, without messing up your floor. Walk the jug in one hand and bucket in the other over to wherever you are transferring your Puffer to—likely to your QT. When the water in the jug gets down to about 2”, POUR your Puffer into the QT and he will never feel as if he has ever been out of water.
Ok awesome. So did you graduallg build the dose up or just dose the regular amount? And Lol i just caught him with a net he didnt freak out or anything.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy he stayed calm in your net! I like to use CopperSafe, and use 16 gallons of water in my QT. CopperSafe is 1 teaspoon for 4 gallons. I use two teaspoons the first day— giving me 1/2 strength on Day 1, then another teaspoon (3/4 strength) on Day 2, then the 4th teaspoon (full strength) on Day 3. I start counting the ‘therapeutic level’ days beginning with Day 3, or even 4, just as a margin of error.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 4 6.7%
Back