Valentini Puffer Gender Question

saltyHG

*my blenny is judging me*
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2025
Messages
203
Reaction score
275
Location
Sunny Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked up a Valentini Puffer from a local reefer who was rehoming it. It has settled in well so far. I read an article that said that male Valentini puffers have marked colorful lines coming from the backs of their eyes and a pigmented stripe on their underbelly.

The one I have had faint eye markings and a faint belly line. Can anyone with Valentini experience give an opinion on the gender of this fish?



IMG_9779.jpeg

IMG_9776.jpeg

IMG_9774.jpeg
 
looks to be a female to me as it lacks the black on the belly and the pattern around the eye is smaller/more faint than a male
 
I love those fish!! I wish I could have one with corals. 😭
How often do they eat corals? Ive only had this one for 5 days. The person that gave this fish to me said that it did not eat inverts or coral and so far she has left my corals alone (but I only have soft corals/zoas/mushrooms really) but I guess time will tell.
 
I love those fish!! I wish I could have one with corals. 😭
How often do they eat corals? Ive only had this one for 5 days. The person that gave this fish to me said that it did not eat inverts or coral and so far she has left my corals alone (but I only have soft corals/zoas/mushrooms really) but I guess time will tell.
No way to really tell, it's always a risk. Each individual will be different too. Maybe some day I'll risk it in my 40 gallon.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new