Valentini puffer in a 20g

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hearing mixed things about this.
We recently introduced a Valentini puffer to the 50g. He is a lovely little fish but unfortunately is one of those individuals who finds LPS super tasty. I've set up a 20 gallon long for the rock boring urchin hitchhiker, and was wondering if this puffer would have enough room in that tank. It will have an AC70 and already has some nice rock structures. The other option is relocating the LPS to the 20 and leaving him in the 50...but the LPS he is bothering are all attached to large rocks and it will be a pain (I currently have a beautiful rose coral partitioned off with a mesh breeder box in order to protect it from him).

Just wondering about my options here. I will happily just move the corals he likes to the 20 and leave him in the 50, if the 20 is too small.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept one for years in a 30 gallon with no problem, so at least for a couple of years, it ought to be fine in a 20 (assuming you got one that is the size regularly sold in stores, and not some 11 cm monster (grin).

Jay

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. You should be fine for quite a while. Just make sure to keep feeding proper foods that keep those teeth worn down.

I had my valentini in a 40b until it mysteriously passed. It only really used about half the tank so yeah. 20L should be fine

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valentini Puffers are slow little guys, should be fine in a 20 as long as you have excellent filtration. I recommend NOT starting off the 20 with brand new water. Instead, if possible, use at least 10-gal from his old tank to avoid rapid changes in water. Puffers can live happily in variety of conditions, but they don't like rapid changes in water at all!

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone. He is too cool to rehome...I know that puffers will be puffers, and it was a risk. No regrets, but I was upset that he decided to munch on my favorite coral in the tank, haha.

I've already been supplying him with dwarf ceriths from Reef Cleaners :cool: He is almost at the point of eating from my hand, and seems to recognize different people (for instance, he hid from a new-to-him person today, but greets my mom and I at the front of the glass).

Noted about using the same water!

I'm going to start a new thread about stocking a 50, as it will need a replacement fish when he moves (the system is macro dominated and fish poop helps me keep it healthy).

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trio of mimic file fish, just a thought! ;)

DSC_0003 (1024x683).jpg

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put my puffer in a 20G... I don't think it would be enough swimming room long term tbh
Yeah, to be honest I think the 20 is gonna be temporary. ;) I'm gonna save up for another 50 and move him and the urchin (well, thinking now the puff is a female) in a few months. :) Rock boring urchins need more room as well.

@najer my bad! early morning, not enough coffee haha. Those mimics would be pretty neat to see. :) btw, I LOVE your tank(s). I always have to stop and stare at any photos you post.

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, after further consideration this AM, I think I'm gonna leave Eddy/Edwina in the 50 and just remove the targeted rock to the 20g. But I really do appreciate everyone who commented here!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look cool, how long have had them together and how big are they. Were you able to sex them. Let us know how they get on as they mature.

I have had them for a few weeks, the two smaller ones are maybe an inch.
I have them isolated currently as my Timor wrasse attacks them, trap in for the wrasse.
The biggest and smallest ones seem to spend the most time together but all three to hang out together a lot.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back