Valentini puffer

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my valentini puffer for around a few months now. He ever only ate the clams but not flakes or shrimp. So he would only get fed once a day. But all of a sudden i accidently skipped one day which has happened many times, hes always hiding, never trying to eat, and always sleeping. I didnt change anything tank parameter whise. I did move rocks around to try and net a fish out. Any help? How long can he go without food? Its been 3 days. The clams where his diet ever since he existed. He also just came out a few minuites ago and instantly rubbed on the rock then hid again.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried some other types of food? Mine likes:
* PE mysis, small mysis and calanus
* LRS reef frenzy
* Hikari brine

He also seems to really like pellets:
* NFS algae max, marine fish
* Nyos wild goji, sweet aloe, true algae

I do add a few drops of Brightwell garlic for flavor enhancement as well.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to also say brine i have used reef frenzy as well...adding supplementation like stated and the picky eaters garlic additive does help. Mine eats anything thrown in and eats twice a day just in case he doesnt get enough or gets out competed for the food. Hoping for the best....

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to also say brine i have used reef frenzy as well...adding supplementation like stated and the picky eaters garlic additive does help. Mine eats anything thrown in and eats twice a day just in case he doesnt get enough or gets out competed for the food. Hoping for the best....
+1. I usually feed with one of those feeder tubes and our puffer picked up on it as a food source within a few days (took the other fish a lot longer). While not a flavor enhancer, we also add selcon and aminos.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. I usually feed with one of those feeder tubes and our puffer picked up on it as a food source within a few days (took the other fish a lot longer). While not a flavor enhancer, we also add selcon and aminos.
Thats crazy i do the same thing suck up a big chunk on the tip of the feeding baster and lower down he nibbles it and then grab another piece and repeat....i also like feeding 2 times a day for him so i dont have to worry about corals or him nipping at items i dont have want him too...trying to steer away from clam on a half shell as i would like to maybe try a deresa clam in the tank...what have you used for tooth control?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats crazy i do the same thing suck up a big chunk on the tip of the feeding baster and lower down he nibbles it and then grab another piece and repeat....i also like feeding 2 times a day for him so i dont have to worry about corals or him nipping at items i dont have want him too...trying to steer away from clam on a half shell as i would like to maybe try a deresa clam in the tank...what have you used for tooth control?
Mine took up residence on one side of the tank where there's a pellet autofeeder (smart fish). The hand feeder I use usually "spooks" most of the fish, which is why I was surprised to find my puffer gently 'tapping' on it the other day.

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried some other types of food? Mine likes:
* PE mysis, small mysis and calanus
* LRS reef frenzy
* Hikari brine

He also seems to really like pellets:
* NFS algae max, marine fish
* Nyos wild goji, sweet aloe, true algae

I do add a few drops of Brightwell garlic for flavor enhancement as well.
He probbaly would eat it but not sure. All he (used to) do when i feed different food was swim around in it. He never picked at it unless it was clams ive tried many many things and not has ever worked. Do valentini puffer eat phytoplankton or copepods?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He probbaly would eat it but not sure. All he (used to) do when i feed different food was swim around in it. He never picked at it unless it was clams ive tried many many things and not has ever worked. Do valentini puffer eat phytoplankton or copepods?
I haven't had this puffer long enough to say, but given that my mandarins are on patrol 24/7 I'd have to wager the puffer is holding out for "meatier" morsels.

Mine has tried everything so far, so while he's not a bonafide "oinker" (yet) he's quickly working his way to that status.

Seaweed is the one thing I haven't tried yet with him.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same for me when I acquired mine he was already eating brine shrimp I added the reef Frenzy and now he kind of gets a mix The Reef frenzy helped tremendously for him not to be a picky eater

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had this puffer long enough to say, but given that my mandarins are on patrol 24/7 ai'd have to wager the puffer is holding out for "meatier" morsels.
Yup, thats what he does. My puffer is currently still just sitting in on some rock trying to sleep constantly.

Attachments

• 20230826_112734.jpg
    20230826_112734.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 23

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, thats what he does. My puffer is currently still just sitting in on some rock trying to sleep constantly.
Mine made one of the gyres "home". It's not an intense suck/blow, and it gives him a great vantage point to watch me when I'm working on the computer.

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine made one of the gyres "home". It's not an intense suck/blow, and it gives him a great vantage point to watch me when I'm working on the computer.
Yeah mine just sits in some cracks of the rocks. I try to put clams next to him but he just swims away. He would always go insane for clams.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine just sits in some cracks of the rocks. I try to put clams next to him but he just swims away. He would always go insane for clams.
I haven't started mine on clams on a half shell yet, but I suspect he'll go cuckoo for cocoa puffs for them...

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe thaw clam then add some of the water from thaw to the tank like chum see if u get a response from him if u do feed if not try again in a few and keep trying

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should i just wait and try later because not sure what to do, hes beyond my favorite fish.
I just found mine dead on the bottom of the tank. No idea what the heck happened (no disease and he was completely intact). Hope you have better luck with yours...

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found mine dead on the bottom of the tank. No idea what the heck happened (no disease and he was completely intact). Hope you have better luck with yours...
Oh man. So sorry about that. Same thing happened with my filefish. Drip acclimated for half an hour, put in the tank, died next morning. Some fish just arent strong enough i guess.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back