Valentini puffer

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One of the best enticers are live brine shrimp and even blackworms.
In coincidence, you moved rocks and he stopped eating. I wonder if you removed a secure hiding spot it had or released something that disturbed water quality although other fish seem fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best enticers are live brine shrimp and even blackworms.
In coincidence, you moved rocks and he started eating. I wonder if you removed a secure hiding spot it had or released something that disturbed water quality although other fish seem fine.
Yeah so basically i moved every single rock out, even with the coral, to catch a few of my damsels to return them to my lfs. They were bullying my other damsels and my clown. After that, i rescaped the rock entirely. Now he found himself a cave, but im concerned because his little belly is really flat. Its not round at all. Ive tried every food and clams. He just doesnt eat. You think hes just adjusting to his envirornment? He used to always swim around and be a little star. He just sleeps now.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah so basically i moved every single rock out, even with the coral, to catch a few of my damsels to return them to my lfs. They were bullying my other damsels and my clown. After that, i rescaped the rock entirely. Now he found himself a cave, but im concerned because his little belly is really flat. Its not round at all. Ive tried every food and clams. He just doesnt eat. You think hes just adjusting to his envirornment? He used to always swim around and be a little star. He just sleeps now.
Yeah, should be shape of a golf ball. See if live foods are accessible to you.
Is this fish breathing normal or labored?
Any slight damage to mouth/lips you can see?

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, should be shape of a golf ball. See if live foods are accessible to you.
Is this fish breathing normal or labored?
Any slight damage to mouth/lips you can see?
Ive tried some live food, nothing works. All he does is swim in it. Doesnt eat it. He looks to be okay. Just his flat belly.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive tried some live food, nothing works. All he does is swim in it. Doesnt eat it. He looks to be okay. Just his flat belly.
Something is affecting the fish. Its either water parameters, issue such as flukes or gill irritation or internal issue and results in edema where fish is now feeding off it's belly.
If you happen to have ruby Rally pro, you can give the fish a 60 minute bath in it to see if any changes after as it acts as a quick treatment and preventative to disease. Run an air stone if you do this step

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. So sorry about that. Same thing happened with my filefish. Drip acclimated for half an hour, put in the tank, died next morning. Some fish just arent strong enough i guess.
There are three possibilities:
1. The way the fish was caught (cyanide).
2. The way the fish was transported (delays, temp, stress).
3. Something with the fish itself (happens).

I've ruled out anything in my tank as all the other fish are healthy, happy and plump. And the puffer was getting along with everything.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three possibilities:
1. The way the fish was caught (cyanide).
2. The way the fish was transported (delays, temp, stress).
3. Something with the fish itself (happens).

I've ruled out anything in my tank as all the other fish are healthy, happy and plump. And the puffer was getting along with everything.
Sorry for your loss how new was he to your tank. I got extremely lucky and acquired mine from a tank breakdown he had had my guy for approximately 2 years. So he is coming up on his third year and eating almost everything I put in the tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss how new was he to your tank. I got extremely lucky and acquired mine from a tank breakdown he had had my guy for approximately 2 years. So he is coming up on his third year and eating almost everything I put in the tank.
Thanks. It sucks, but sometimes things are just out of ones control...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%

Back