Valentini Pufferfish Laying On Sand

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I noticed him beginning to lay on the sand a little bit a few days ago. Now today he has basically been in the same spot on the sandbed. Any input would be helpful. I’m planning to do a water change tonight, and test my water tomorrow. I do have API general cure and Seachem Focus on hand, although I’m not sure how likely he would be to eat food. 6CAE786A-CCD2-4CCD-B8A5-2AF2684C8862.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9484.MOV
    41.3 MB
OP
OP
Evan28395950

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if this would be the cause of it, but recently I haven’t been able to feed them at the time I usually do, and therefore have to turn on their lights after having them off for about an hour; not sure if the pufferfish would get shocked from that

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't think of a reason for it to be doing that without a little more info. Turning your lights on at a different time shouldn't be a big deal but a puffer unwilling to move is a problem.
Just so everyone has all the info can you tell us how long you have had it? was it eating before? added anything new? and what are the other tankmates?

OP
OP
Evan28395950

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't think of a reason for it to be doing that without a little more info. Turning your lights on at a different time shouldn't be a big deal but a puffer unwilling to move is a problem.
Just so everyone has all the info can you tell us how long you have had it? was it eating before? added anything new? and what are the other tankmates?
Thanks for the help, but unfortunately the puffer has died. It was very strange though, I’ve had it for 2 years and it’s always ate a lot, I thought I noticed it laying on the sand a little bit before yesterday. But I’m thinking it might have gotten scared and puffed up and that’s what caused this?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear it has died. It may have been it's time but I don't think it's anything to do with puffing up I'm afraid. The main issue with them being scared and inflating is filling up with air, if it's done it underwater it's not really a problem (and since it's on the bottom it won't be full or air).

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back