Vances 700 plywood build.

samson78945

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking beautiful! Do you find it hard to clean a 48"? I am thinking about going that tall. Lots of people tell me not to, but the visual is so nice.

OP
OP
Vance

Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your kind words!

Tank is looking beautiful! Do you find it hard to clean a 48"? I am thinking about going that tall. Lots of people tell me not to, but the visual is so nice.
It is definitely a challenge to do anything in a tank this deep... Thankfully I havent had to many issues "knock on wood." I try really hard to stay out of it do my maintenance in the back without disrupting anything and just let it grow. Grabbers are essential. Plywood tank is a little different than most I have an overlap on the glass so I can srape coraline past the glass. If that makes sense... It just always looks clean as long as there is no algae growing in the display... I'm very happy with it. Here are some pictures
20200202_062844.jpg
20200202_062910.jpg

samson78945

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your kind words!

It is definitely a challenge to do anything in a tank this deep... Thankfully I havent had to many issues "knock on wood." I try really hard to stay out of it do my maintenance in the back without disrupting anything and just let it grow. Grabbers are essential. Plywood tank is a little different than most I have an overlap on the glass so I can srape coraline past the glass. If that makes sense... It just always looks clean as long as there is no algae growing in the display... I'm very happy with it. Here are some pictures
20200202_062844.jpg
20200202_062910.jpg

Would you change the height if you started over? I just think a tall tank looks amazing.

SnipeEasyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i can think is 2 weeks for the rodi to fill. And immediately having to change the filters for being spent lol. One day ill convince my wife for a large tank. I have always wanted something in the 300gal range.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has really filled in well, while the negative space still remains thanks to the height. I've always loved this tank but now that it's got some nice sized colonies in it I really love it. If R2R ever gets around to a TOTM feature this should be the first tank featured!

vincel892

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question about the coast to coast. Did you use doubled up 3/4" ply for the external overflow box ? Do you think this was necessary? or would 1" or even single 3/4" ply work ? And could you tell me the dimensions of the box and thickness of the strip you cut out to act as the "weir" ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vance

Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a single layer of 3/4 for the overflow box. Heres a picture of attaching the back panel of the tank where you can see the box construction.
I'm sorry I don't think I understand what you mean by the weir?
20200205_054327.jpg

Last edited:

vincel892

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a single layer of 3/4 for the overflow box. Heres a picture of attaching the back panel of the tank where you can see the box construction.
I'm sorry I don't think I understand what you mean by the weir?
20200205_054327.jpg
Thanks for the reply. As for the "weir" I was referring to the long strip that is cut out to allow for skimming, how wide is that strip? (i was thinking of going 1"). Also, what is the width and height of the external box?

OP
OP
Vance

Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. As for the "weir" I was referring to the long strip that is cut out to allow for skimming, how wide is that strip? (i was thinking of going 1"). Also, what is the width and height of the external box?

Got it. So I was shooting for a finished opening of 1/4”. With the fiberglass mat and epoxy it is wider and smaller in some places, a few smaller fish, especially if they are being harassed, can still slip through. 8”x13” if I remember correctly

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vance

Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What PAR levels are you getting for the lower SPS colonies?

Alex, honestly I’m not sure and I have turned the lights WAY down over the past year or so. Peak at maybe 45%. We have a par meter at the shop I’ll grab it and measure this week sometime. Grain of salt, it’s only par not per, leds and such...

OP
OP
Vance

Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it took 2 years but we found a captive bred pup! Shes only about 7” so will be living in the quarantine for a good while before going to the tank, but she eats like a champ!
CA3EA682-E0A4-44ED-BBF4-17105E47A321.jpeg
4E55D5E3-9B05-4994-BBE2-E153F67D2E97.jpeg
024990B3-77F9-4C89-AE12-DD13A21C27FE.jpeg

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you're doing with the system seems to be working!! It looks great. Going to be SUPER cool once those stags get even bigger. They'll get massive in this system!

The little shark pup looks nice and healthy. Good pickup!

OP
OP
Vance

Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you're doing with the system seems to be working!! It looks great. Going to be SUPER cool once those stags get even bigger. They'll get massive in this system!

The little shark pup looks nice and healthy. Good pickup!

Thank you! This has turned out to be a VERY productive system, I’m very happy with growth. There are many colonies that I frag heavily. It hard to see on my pictures here because I always take them before cut lol.

I’ve finally gotten to the point where some of the slower growing colonies have reached a good size that I can remove some of the faster growing colonies and others than I’m just not happy with. It’s a fun stage to be in. Still so much to learn with different species and growth forms. Some do what I want in certain spots and some completely surprise with conditions they prefer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back