Varios 2 on reefer 250

offthehook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seen a couple threads on this but wanted to get some thoughts. I run a tunze 1073.05 right now and am looking at the varios pumps as I’ve had the tunze for many years and lately even after cleaning it seeems to loose its umph. Will the varios 2 be enough for my 250. It is only 54 gallons with a 11 gallon sump. The plumbing is straight down from the overflow to the return so no bends etc. it will only be feeding the return. For the tank I am running an mp10 right now but just got a nero 5. I don’t want to push too much water to fast through the sump/Refugium and skimmer.
Thoughts?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased the Reefer 250 and my LFS recommended the EcoTech Marine Vectra S1 along with their battery backup (I love the small profile of this battery backup!). The max flow on the Varios 2 is 792 GPH, the Vectra S1 is 1400 GPH and the recommended flow for the Reefer 250 is 660 GPH and I am running my S1 at about 40% (583 GPH).

Red Sea recommends either the Sicce Syncra Silent line of pumps or the Ecotech Vectra pumps. They must have tested those pumps on their tanks and liked the results but I always take recommendations like that with a grain of salt as I am sure they are suggesting those brands for a reason.

The S1 is more expensive that the Varios 2 but you could consider it in your research for a replacement pump.

PS, I think you will love the Nero 5! ;)

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more factor to consider is the manufacturer's warranty, the VariosS-2 is 2 years on the pump, 1 year on the rotor and the Vectra S1 is only 1 year. If I had to do it again I might have considered the The Syncra SDC 6.0 wifi pump (530-1450 GPH) which has a 3 year warranty but when you buy from an authorized dealer and register it online they add an additional 2 years and you will have 5 years peace of mind!
http://sicceus.com/pdf/SDC_tech_data.pdf

OP
OP
offthehook

offthehook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info, I greatly appreciate it!! I’m likely going with the varioS 2 or 4. Thinking the 4 although the 2 would probably be plenty but the 4 would give me room to breathe a bit.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info, I greatly appreciate it!! I’m likely going with the varioS 2 or 4. Thinking the 4 although the 2 would probably be plenty but the 4 would give me room to breathe a bit.

If it is in the budget go with the 4. In my opinion I would rather run a pump full time at a lower power level, I may be wrong but it will put less stress on the pump and last longer without having any issues.

OP
OP
offthehook

offthehook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is in the budget go with the 4. In my opinion I would rather run a pump full time at a lower power level, I may be wrong but it will put less stress on the pump and last longer without having any issues.

I ended up getting the varios 4 about a week ago. Still haven’t set it up yet, trying to muster up the nerdy of changing out my pumps...lol
Thanks for your input.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back