OP
jschultzbass

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new impeller has been better at keeping flow. It'll usually stay around 520 gpm and hasn't seen the steady decline I saw with the other one. I don't know what was wrong with the other but the new one is performing well.

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a various 6 just randomly stop working on me 3 times in the first 4 months I had it. I was able to restart it and get to run again, but I was very disappointed and worried about its reliability. I too noticed the output was not nearly as good after just the first 2 months. Went from 3 to 5 to keep up with where I had my gate valve set on my bean. It ran Ok for about another month and then one day started making a loud noise - like it was struggling. Like many of said, contacting coralvue for support is a frustrating process. Took pictures, they would not reply - said they did, but I had no reply in e-mail. Of course, I had other replies from them before and after not hearing back. then they wanted me to send it in to be looked at - well it was my only return pump, so that was not possible. I became so frustrated I just gave up. I loved how quiet it was, and stupid me bought a various 8 to replace it. I just really wanted a d/c pump and liked how quiet it was. The only true upgrades for d/c pumps were way out of my price range. Unfortunate seeing as it is the heart of our systems. So far the 8 has been OK - going on 4 months now. It is not nearly as powerful as it was the first month. It has not lowered much more, but I again had to reduce the flow on my gate valve to keep sump level from rising. I have heard that these pumps do not handle head pressure very well and per coralvue - you should use 1.5in plumbing - they don't handle 1in or 3/4 in diameter plumbing well either(mine is connected to 1in which is standard right?) I am glad to hear the new impeller worked. I just wonder for how long? This is a fairly wide spread problem with these d/c pumps. Wish the nicer ones didn't cost as much as my whole system(almost;))

Daveyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new impeller has been better at keeping flow. It'll usually stay around 520 gpm and hasn't seen the steady decline I saw with the other one. I don't know what was wrong with the other but the new one is performing well.

That is good to hear, btw do you mean 520 gpm or gph?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had a various 6 just randomly stop working on me 3 times in the first 4 months I had it. I was able to restart it and get to run again, but I was very disappointed and worried about its reliability. I too noticed the output was not nearly as good after just the first 2 months. Went from 3 to 5 to keep up with where I had my gate valve set on my bean. It ran Ok for about another month and then one day started making a loud noise - like it was struggling. Like many of said, contacting coralvue for support is a frustrating process. Took pictures, they would not reply - said they did, but I had no reply in e-mail. Of course, I had other replies from them before and after not hearing back. then they wanted me to send it in to be looked at - well it was my only return pump, so that was not possible. I became so frustrated I just gave up. I loved how quiet it was, and stupid me bought a various 8 to replace it. I just really wanted a d/c pump and liked how quiet it was. The only true upgrades for d/c pumps were way out of my price range. Unfortunate seeing as it is the heart of our systems. So far the 8 has been OK - going on 4 months now. It is not nearly as powerful as it was the first month. It has not lowered much more, but I again had to reduce the flow on my gate valve to keep sump level from rising. I have heard that these pumps do not handle head pressure very well and per coralvue - you should use 1.5in plumbing - they don't handle 1in or 3/4 in diameter plumbing well either(mine is connected to 1in which is standard right?) I am glad to hear the new impeller worked. I just wonder for how long? This is a fairly wide spread problem with these d/c pumps. Wish the nicer ones didn't cost as much as my whole system(almost;))

So now that you've replaced it with the Vario-S 8, did you send the model-6 for repairs?

The pumps outlet is designed to work with 1.25" plumbing, not sure why anyone would plum it to 3/4 inch piping - nearly all DC pumps don't work well under pressure/high head conditions.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that you've replaced it with the Vario-S 8, did you send the model-6 for repairs?

The pumps outlet is designed to work with 1.25" plumbing, not sure why anyone would plum it to 3/4 inch piping - nearly all DC pumps don't work well under pressure/high head conditions.
Had to read through the whole thread before somebody finally mentioned the return piping. I think 90% of the problems people have with DC pumps are related to this. I plumbed 1.25 all the way in, using a 1.25 elbow for the return nozzle. I don't have a flow meter but it seems the pump hasn't lost any performance over the past year. If you have a warranty issue the first question they will ask is the return size.
20180615_211208.jpg

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No I have not. It is out of warranty at this point. I think I will just order a new impeller and perhaps plumb to 1.25 or 1.5 in pipe to prevent any future issues.

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the same thing about using 3/4in. Why on earth you would do that I do not know, but I read a thread on Coralvue's site where someone did just that. I just did not realize that diameter of pipe b/t 1in and 1.25 would make such a difference. I am a rookie when it comes to the plumbing though. I was just happy I hard plumbed the whole thing and changed the Durso to a bean animal by myself without any leaks! The other thing I was wondering, is the nozzles that came with my tank are either .50 or .75in and I wondered if I was doing any harm by going from all 1in to .5 at the nozzle. I need to look into if I can get nozzles that are 1in or 1.25 in diameter maybe too.

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to read through the whole thread before somebody finally mentioned the return piping. I think 90% of the problems people have with DC pumps are related to this. I plumbed 1.25 all the way in, using a 1.25 elbow for the return nozzle. I don't have a flow meter but it seems the pump hasn't lost any performance over the past year. If you have a warranty issue the first question they will ask is the return size.
20180615_211208.jpg
That is exactly right.

Jgardiner1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Varios 6 as my main return pump. I run it at 100% and only change it during feeding. I have it run through a Neptune Apex flow meter and when first installed it got over 500 gpm of flow. Previous to the 6 I had a varios 4 and it did this exact same thing. As you can see from the graph, the flow continues to deteriorate. I take the pump out, clean it, clean the piping, clean the flow meter and I never get back to even close the original flow I got with it. The deterioration of flow the meter shows is correct as I have to keep closing off my drain valve to keep the water lever up to the emergency drain. Is this normal? I've had two varios pumps do it now. Thoughts?

IMG_0042.png
Its the controller,not your flow meters and not the pump,bearings or impeller.. I run 3 varios 8 pumps,2 for returns and one for a manifold. And all 3 have had the same issue,drove me up a wall tryin to figure out what was wrong.. Even at 100%on the controllers i would loose alot of flow over time.. Tried cleanings,replacing parts ect ect... It wasnt untill i replaced one of the controllers.. And i tried it on all 3 pumps,every time i put the new controller on a pump it actaully ran at 100%.. When i put the old contollers back on even at 100% i would get about 500gph..great pumps,not so great controllers..i run a fairly large system so turn over is pretty imortant for me.. 2 pumps only pushing 500gph each was not nearly enough.i was about ready to break down and buy an abyzz pump.. Glad i tried a hail mary got a new controller first..

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back