Vectra L1 vs L2 threads?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the white EcoTech schedule 40 adapters to connect my Vectra L1 directly to my plumbing, without the blue quick disconnect thingy.

Now I want to upgrade to a Vectra L2. Will the pump volute still thread properly into the white adapters? Or is the L2 volute threaded with standard schedule 40 male threads?

OP
OP
jelazar

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Are the volutes identical between L1 and L2? Then I could use a new L2 and impeller with my already-connected L1 volute.

Tek_Diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure...I don't have them sitting side by side right now...did the inside of the L1 block get messed up by a swollen impeller that ate the plastic on the outside of the impeller? I know what you are trying to do...but cant say for sure that they are the same....Sorry

OP
OP
jelazar

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...did the inside of the L1 block get messed up by a swollen impeller that ate the plastic on the outside of the impeller?

Yes. I've got two L1s and I "fixed" one by making a snug-fitting sanding drum and honing out the pump block so the impeller would fit again and turn freely.

I tried doing the same thing on pump #2 but the impeller was so badly stuck that the shaft snapped when I was pulling it. :(

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this question a while back. Even asked ETM directly and the answer back was essentially we cannot tell you as its proprietary. They did say that the M/L1 volutes could be swapped however. I just decided to live with my M1 and replace it when it actually fails.

Last edited:

Cthehentz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My L1 runs great but it is getting old so I've started looking at buying a backup for that day whenever it happens. I emailed EcoTech and this is there response regarding the volute. I have been out of the loop regarding pumps so I didn't know they had a new model out, with routine cleaning and recalibration my L1 has been flawless for the past 4 years running at 70%.

Thank you for contacting EcoTech Marine! The Vectra L2 is completely compatible with the controller and power supply to your Vectra L1. If you are looking to keep your same plumbing, you will have to remove the volute on your Vectra L1 and place it on the Vectra L2 motor. The Vectra L2's volute has larger input and output and would require new plumbing unless you swap the volutes from the L1 to the L2.

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever its worth, the new volute and updated fittings on the V2’s are one of its best features. Very heavy duty PVC unions. It would probably be worth changing the plumbing once you see the difference

Cthehentz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever its worth, the new volute and updated fittings on the V2’s are one of its best features. Very heavy duty PVC unions. It would probably be worth changing the plumbing once you see the difference

Sorta funny, I forgot I installed a union when I installed the new L1 so all this drama for nothing lol. I am trying to find a new L2 but they are sold out from what I am seeing.

OP
OP
jelazar

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been running for about three weeks now as a hybrid L1 volute / L2 body. Seems to be working fine. I do plan on swapping in the L2 volute eventually, so long as I don't have to replace the union valves. Not sure whether the new blue unions will fit inline with everything else.

20200501_125128.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vectra L2's volute has larger input and output and would require new plumbing unless you swap the volutes from the L1 to the L2.

Interesting! I wonder if the same is true when going M1 to M2. I found the M1 blue collars to be quite restrictive to flow, thus the white adapters. If the M2 collars are larger, that may render swapping volutes moot. My M1 has been flawless in the 5 years I have had it, but nothing last forever.

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I wonder if the same is true when going M1 to M2. I found the M1 blue collars to be quite restrictive to flow, thus the white adapters. If the M2 collars are larger, that may render swapping volutes moot. My M1 has been flawless in the 5 years I have had it, but nothing last forever.

The unions incorporated into the V2 series allow intake and output at the full plumbing size with no restrictions. In other words, the V1 series's quick couplers would reduce the output, that no longer is the case. The V2 unions are also built to a schedule 40 standard in terms of wall thickness and made from PVC. Very nice stuff.

OP
OP
jelazar

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the inside of the L1 block get messed up by a swollen impeller that ate the plastic on the outside of the impeller? I know what you are trying to do...but cant say for sure that they are the same....Sorry

Yes. I've got two L1s and I "fixed" one by making a snug-fitting sanding drum and honing out the pump block so the impeller would fit again and turn freely.

I tried doing the same thing on pump #2 but the impeller was so badly stuck that the shaft snapped when I was pulling it. :(

The sanding didn't fix the problem for long and the L1 pump seized again. I found one of the few remaining L2s in stock anywhere and swapped out the motor block. So now I have two new L2s.

I got an RMA on the first pump right before C19, and I'll send the second pump in when they open back up. Regardless of whether I have to pay for two new blocks, or it's covered under warranty, I'd like to get the two old pumps working again as backups.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back