Vectra L1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the Ecotech Vectra L1 redesign has improved the failure rates? I've read so many stories about them melting the impeller housing. Supposedly they changed the material and the new ones perform better. Can anyone confirm this?

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of them, one for each of my systems, and haven't had a problem. I have heard if you add a lot of Kalkwasser the impellar will stop turning because of lime build up around the magnet and inner area where the magnet is inserted into

OP
OP
Randyp79

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of them, one for each of my systems, and haven't had a problem. I have heard if you add a lot of Kalkwasser the impellar will stop turning because of lime build up around the magnet and inner area where the magnet is inserted into
Do you have the old model or the redesign?

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the pumps itself, but inside where the impeller goes. You would have to take it apart to see. Not sure I was clear on that...[/QUOTE]
Yes...I understood...I have taken them apart for cleaning and they both are white

OP
OP
Randyp79

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the pumps itself, but inside where the impeller goes. You would have to take it apart to see. Not sure I was clear on that...
Yes...I understood...I have taken them apart for cleaning and they both are white[/QUOTE]Yep, old versions

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had failures (2) with the old design, and the new design has fouled and slowed down requiring cleaning, but not melted down like the old ones. I like the design, but it is not very tolerant of biofouling, and the cooling loop could function a lot better. So in short, the redesign improved things (no more meltdown) but there are still some issues.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several near-failures in the last week or so (80% reduction in power for about an hour, then resumed back to normal), I pulled my L1 out to clean it in case that was the problem. While doing so, I noticed this warping inside the impeller chamber:
IMG_3455.jpg

I'm assuming this is the same issue mentioned? Obviously a white chamber, so "old" model, I guess...
I've got a different pump in there now, which was my backup pump. Guess it's going to become my primary and this will be the backup...

Note - never used kalk, but I run a relatively dirty tank, so the pump is often less than perfectly clean. I only ran it at 40%, however. Even at that rate, it still added a hefty amount of excess heat into the system, I always thought... Perhaps I've had a "kinda' faulty" unit and didn't know about it?

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold mine new before I even found out what issues I could possibly have. My tank is a 150gal, I didnt need 3000gph so I went with the Neptune Cor20. Had I needed the higher capacity pump, I would have stuck with the L1. Ill take the vectras failing probability any day over current Jebao pumps, at least customer service is there. Have had many jebao pumps fail right off the gate. I keep jebaos as backup, in case the main one goes down so I have time to order a new one. The funny thing is...arent vectra pump bodies manufactured by Jebao as well?

I was told Ecotech was replacing the old design by new ones. Sort of they didnt come out saying it as they arent stupid to want to announce it, but would do so to owners with the bad design.

It seems the old design units clearly show melting of the impeller compartment, so if it is running for a while, it will have signs or plastic deforming, mainly when ran outside the sump(dry).

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back