Vectra S2 Question

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've recently set up my Waterbox Marine X 90.3 which is a 60G display with a 25G sump. I attempted to calibrate my Vectra S2 return pump through the Mobius app. There seems to be sufficient flow in the display but when I look at the sump, the water is barely filtering in to the water socks and in fact not going into the second water sock chamber really at all and actually some of the water there is just evaporating leaving salt residue. The water in the sump appears slow and stagnant. I thought the water level in the sump could be the issue but I checked with the crew at Waterbox and they said that it was at the proper level (meaning my middle chamber where the protein skimmer would be situated is in line with the horizontal piece of glass holding the filter socks. I don't use the S2 for surface agitation as I have 2 MP40s for that. Those are set at level 3. What should the speed be of my S2 with a tank of my size? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sump.JPG tank.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The S2 is rate for 1,400Gph @ zero head, so even with a 4-5' rise you should get about 700Gph @100% speed. You probably want somewhere between 300-400Gph, so without knowing your plumbing run (twists, turns, etc.) I'm guessing probably around 60% speed is a good starting point.

When readjusting flow, you should open your gate valve all the way then slowly dial it back until the water level in the overflow is just below the emergency overflow pope.

As for the filter socks, this is normal; the one closest to the pipes will take the majority of the water until it starts to clog up - at which point water will start flowing more through the second filter sock.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you shut off your return pump to see what happens? If not try it but be ready to turn the pump back on quick, this is part of fail safe your tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back