Vee gee stx-3

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How accurate is the veegee stx-3? I just purchased one for 115$ shipped and was wondering if a made the wrong choice? I read on a forum on here for a good refractometer, and the Vee Gee cam up more than any other as their go to.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How accurate is the veegee stx-3? I just purchased one for 115$ shipped and was wondering if a made the wrong choice? I read on a forum on here for a good refractometer, and the Vee Gee cam up more than any other as their go to.
One of the best and most accurate refractometer.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are horrible I will give you 15 dollars shipped for it, but like ksed stated that they are one of the best if not the best out there, Congrats on buying a keeper. If not my offer still stands.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own two of them. I've had to calibrate my first VeeGee twice -- in 6 years! My second was on point out of the box. An excellent piece of equipment.

My only issue is that the hinge pin gets balky after about 4-5 years.

Don't forget though: unlike many refractometers, you calibrate it with RODI and NOT calibration fluid.

OP
OP
HBoojie

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own two of them. I've had to calibrate my first VeeGee twice -- in 6 years! My second was on point out of the box. An excellent piece of equipment.

Don't forget though: unlike many refractometers, you calibrate it with RODI and NOT calibration fluid.
Is there any video on how to properly calibrate? If you wouldn’t have said anything I would’ve used the fluid and not rodi

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any video on how to properly calibrate? If you wouldn’t have said anything I would’ve used the fluid and not rodi
Double check the instructions but I am certain it read to use RODI. Nothing to calibrating really. Rinse/wipe the viewing plate, put a drop of RODI on it and close. Make sure no bubble. Point at a light source. It will likely read 0 right out of the box. If not, it comes with a little screwdriver you use to loosen the set screw. Twist the head frame relative to the green handle part one way or the other to get it resting on 1.0 / 0. (It is machined for a fairly tight fit, FYI.) Tighten set screw.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HBoojie

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check the instructions but I am certain it read to use RODI. Nothing to calibrating really. Rinse/wipe the viewing plate, put a drop of RODI on it and close. Make sure no bubble. Point at a light source. It will likely read 0 right out of the box. If not, it comes with a little screwdriver you use to loosen the set screw. Twist the head frame relative to the green handle part one way or the other to get it resting on 1.0 / 0. (It is machine for a fairly tight fit, FYI.) Tighten set screw.
Thank you!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refractometer said to use rodi, only when I started to use salt water did I get a correct reading.

If using a calibration fluid just be aware they can be off, better to make Randy's diy solution, do a search on here for it.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vee gee the best.
Only issue I've had is when tightening the set screw after rodi calibrate, the reading changes slightly, so loosen, cheat the ring, and retighten.

OP
OP
HBoojie

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vee gee the best.
Only issue I've had is when tightening the set screw after rodi calibrate, the reading changes slightly, so loosen, cheat the ring, and retighten.
I’ve heard this and the adjustment ring where a little tricky, but I can work with that, all I need is accuracy!

Timich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really? I've been calibrating with rodi only but never knew calibration fluid wasn't aloud for it. Wasn't planning on anyways just interesting

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad this thread existed. I had not calibrated in a long time and decided to check the calibration, it was off slightly so I used RODI and yep it was off. I've adjusted it to 0 then decided to try with the calibration fluid and the reading was way off. I was confused which one is correct. Back to RODI only.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad this thread existed. I had not calibrated in a long time and decided to check the calibration, it was off slightly so I used RODI and yep it was off. I've adjusted it to 0 then decided to try with the calibration fluid and the reading was way off. I was confused which one is correct. Back to RODI only.
You wouldn’t calibrate a car at zero, best to calibrate to the figure nearest to what you are aiming for.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup. I once tried using calibration fluid and it was off. Reread the instructions and tested with RODI and all was fine.

Curious if you calibrate yours at 68 degrees? I just got an open box STX-3 from an Amazon warehouse deal. I went to calibrate it and noticed it said the calibration must be done in a controlled environment at 68 degrees. It’s pretty much an impossibility for me most of the year in Florida to get my house to 68 degrees. Currently the house is 76, so I’m wondering how much that messes with the calibration.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back