Velvet - Ich or something else all together?!?!

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help understanding WHAT I'm fighting.

Let me first say....this isn't a fast parasite. I was slowly losing fish over the course of about 3 weeks - till my healthiest Tang started showing symptoms.

Some say Ich - some say Velvet. So far, it has no effect on my other Tangs (3 others) or most of my sand burying wrasse, clownfish or garden eels. I understand the slime coat on most of the fish is probably helping a lot.

This has been going in for almost a month now. Started as a Ich flare up, due to a new fish being added and seems to have progressed. This fish didn't start showing real real signs...till a few days ago now.

Fish are 100% accustomed to Ich - I've had most of the fish for years.....and I knew I had Ich present, but it never bothered anyone.

Now, I'm fighting this.

received_3517656305161588.jpeg 20231216_104810.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your plan doesn't work (anymore), change the plan - not your goal.

I had to move my tank, messed up and got what you have. Added a properly sized UV and everything went back to normal, minus the fishes that died before I woke up and added the UV.

The fishes in my tank had been together for many years, and they were growing all along and I think they had grown to hate each other. So when one got sick the battles broke out and the stronger killed the weak to make more living room in the DT.

Or maybe it was climate change?

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill let them help diagnose.

FWIW I am still learning but after looking again it looks like a combination of irritated skin mucus cones and ich.

There are some bigger nodules it appears at least to me.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help understanding WHAT I'm fighting.

Let me first say....this isn't a fast parasite. I was slowly losing fish over the course of about 3 weeks - till my healthiest Tang started showing symptoms.

Some say Ich - some say Velvet. So far, it has no effect on my other Tangs (3 others) or most of my sand burying wrasse, clownfish or garden eels. I understand the slime coat on most of the fish is probably helping a lot.

This has been going in for almost a month now. Started as a Ich flare up, due to a new fish being added and seems to have progressed. This fish didn't start showing real real signs...till a few days ago now.

Fish are 100% accustomed to Ich - I've had most of the fish for years.....and I knew I had Ich present, but it never bothered anyone.

Now, I'm fighting this.

received_3517656305161588.jpeg 20231216_104810.jpg
That’s ich with some mucus plugs mixed in (pretty common to see that). The spots on the fins, where there are not large mucus cells tells me there is some ich present.
Jay

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tried to dose Hydrogen Peroxide? I dose it daily it prevents ich and velvet. Its also help with algae. I have a 400 gallon reef mostly SPS and have no problem with my coral or coralline algae growth. I am presently dosing 1 ml per hour. I do watch my ORP do not want it going over 400.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tried to dose Hydrogen Peroxide? I dose it daily it prevents ich and velvet. Its also help with algae. I have a 400 gallon reef mostly SPS and have no problem with my coral or coralline algae growth. I am presently dosing 1 ml per hour. I do watch my ORP do not want it going over 400.

Folks should read this before trying H2O2:

Jay

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks should read this before trying H2O2:

Jay
Been dosing H2O2 for weeks....Zero effects on this.

I had great success with peroxide and ich. But I'm dosing almost 200mls of H2O2 everyday and it's done absolutely nothing for this....Sadly.

zacharyv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there I'm facing ich and have started hydrogen peroxide dosing any help I can get I'll take I have 32g and put in 4ml every 12h second day I'm worried about corels and bio it's only 4 months old

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back