Velvet or Ick Mystery

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly new 90 gallon reef tank. My first introduction was banded shrimp (2) and 3 Turbo snails. Next was 2 clown fish. Next was a Banner fish. My wife trying to surprise me put 7 fish in the tank all at once. With no QT at the time I freaked out but what could I do? Here is the timeline of what happened next: The Banner fish was the first. No spots but slowly lost its appetite. Swimming very eratic, racing back and forth to the point it would slam into the glass top. From onset to death was 1 week. Coral Beautys (2). One had a single spot on side fin and single spot on body, the other one had no signs yet it died first after 5 days being in the tank, the other died 3 days later. Sailfin Tang, no spots, died after 6 days. Purple Tang, lost its color and was completely covered in spots (See Picture), it lived for 8 days after spots appeared. Remaining clown fish had no spots but was remaining at surface, gasping for air. After 4 more days it died. Blue Damsels (2), no signs of illness, doing great still.

I am setting up my QT as we speak and plan on transferring the damsels to that tank.
My question to the experts on here is what disease is in my tank that could do this? Is it ick or marine velvet or possibly both? Why are the Damsels not infected?
My water test parameters are all good.

20211101_015356.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet. Damsels are tough but may eventually die as well.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet. Need to copper treat alive fish and consider FW or Peroxide dip before copper. Need to fallow 72 days/3 mos display tank. Doesnt matter ich or velvet, treatment plan is the same.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.

I thought velvet had to be round shaped? These look oblong. Almost like it’s bacterial? (Ps. I’m not saying it’s bacterial - I want to understand if velvet can look like it’s dangling off fish?)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back