Velvet Removal

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had marine velvet in my tank for the last two weeks now and it has killed all of my fish so far. Does anyone know how to remove it from the tank and how long that will take?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had marine velvet in my tank for the last two weeks now and it has killed all of my fish so far. Does anyone know how to remove it from the tank and how long that will take?
As long as there are NO fish, give it 90 days to be safe.
76 days is the recommendation for fallow.
Keep tank well fed if there are corals.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about a 100% WC? waiting 90 days would be really hard for me.
That won’t rid your tank of everything as it will be in the sand, rocks,etc. Fallow or total tank breakdown, sterilize and start from scratch. Really your only 2 options.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive had Super success with an outbreak using Polyp Lab "MEDIC" which BTW is reef safe as I treated my mixed reef tank and thought what more is there to lose and all clear in 4 days. I was P**s)d when i had to pay $38 for it but have since then bought an extra bottle.
My tank was perfect and I HAD TO ghet a Powder blue tang which I was reluctant to buy it from this particular store and low and behold . . . O U T B R E A K !!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As others mentioned and I should state. . . although i mentioned MEDIC above. . the recommended method is to go fallow. . . thereby doing good water change, AND RUNNING IT FISHLESS FOR 10-12 WEEKS.
THE TYPICAL PARASITICAL CYCLE ALLOWS CYSTS TO REPRODUCE THEREBY ALLOWING NEW CYSTS TO FORM AND SEARCH FOR A HOST.
After these several weeks, they have nothing to host on and their life cycle begins to slow and eventually stop in which they soon are gone. Can they return? Absolutely yes, so Tamerav's recommendation of 90 days is long BUT worth it. Time goes by quickly and will pay off.
I understand the pain of having this great tank and NO fish to enjoy for 3 months and with the holidays approaching can be a bummer BUT. . . what can you do?
Set up a quarantine tank which you should have anyway and will be beneficial (not a waste of time and money) and add a fish or two to enjoy in the mean time and when that 72-90 days comes around- You have fish ready to go.

Bear in mind. . . black Friday , there will be many sales and will allow you to set up a QT cheaply.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back