Velvet, uncycled QT, Live Rock???

1980tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank now has velvet. I have lost 3 fish already and be other is hiding/missing. I have set up a QT tank immediately but I have no transferable media other than Live Rock. I have Cupramine ready to start treating and plan on freshwater dipping the badly affected fish before placing in the QT. My issue is the QT isn’t cycled, so do I add Colony or Dr Tim’s, or do I just use the Seachem Ammonia plate as a warning and carry out daily water changes until the 10 days of treatment are over? I have some Live rock in the sump I could use and discard but I believe the live rock will absorb the copper and take it out of the required parameters??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My display tank now has velvet. I have lost 3 fish already and be other is hiding/missing. I have set up a QT tank immediately but I have no transferable media other than Live Rock. I have Cupramine ready to start treating and plan on freshwater dipping the badly affected fish before placing in the QT. My issue is the QT isn’t cycled, so do I add Colony or Dr Tim’s, or do I just use the Seachem Ammonia plate as a warning and carry out daily water changes until the 10 days of treatment are over? I have some Live rock in the sump I could use and discard but I believe the live rock will absorb the copper and take it out of the required parameters??
I dont trust the seachem ammonia badge after 2 weeks of use but no need to hold back on cycling- start QT and monitor ammonia with a reliable test kit.
How did you conclude its velvet? Any pics or video you can furnish under white lighting ?
For treatment, Treat the fish in the QT with your cupramine at therapuetic level 0.5 at 80 degrees for a FULL 30 days monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand (no api brand). Again momitor ammonia level <.025 and add aeration with air stone

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish need treatment and how big is your quarantine?

Upvote 0
OP
OP

1980tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish need treatment and how big is your quarantine?
10 small fish and it’s a Red Sea Reefer 250, I wasn’t planning on using the full system, just the display at 100 litres as it makes it easy for 50% water changes?

Upvote 0
OP
OP

1980tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont trust the seachem ammonia badge after 2 weeks of use but no need to hold back on cycling- start QT and monitor ammonia with a reliable test kit.
How did you conclude its velvet? Any pics or video you can furnish under white lighting ?
For treatment, Treat the fish in the QT with your cupramine at therapuetic level 0.5 at 80 degrees for a FULL 30 days monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand (no api brand). Again momitor ammonia level <.025 and add aeration with air stone
I believe it’s velvet due to the many small milky white areas especially on the fins and the fact I started losing fish within a few hours of me noticing it. The three main fish covered are my Purple Tang, Coral Beauty and Pyjama Wrasse. The reason I said the ammonia badge as opposed to actual test kits is I have seen people say liquid ammonia tests are not accurate if you are treating with copper??

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I believe it’s velvet due to the many small milky white areas especially on the fins and the fact I started losing fish within a few hours of me noticing it. The three main fish covered are my Purple Tang, Coral Beauty and Pyjama Wrasse. The reason I said the ammonia badge as opposed to actual test kits is I have seen people say liquid ammonia tests are not accurate if you are treating with copper??
Any pics or video you can furnish under white lighting ?
Liquid tests work fine when properly used.
To confirm, some signs of velvet will be :
- swimming at water surface
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Upvote 0
OP
OP

1980tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question but how do I cycle a bare bottom tank with no live rock which I plan to treat with Cupramine? I don’t currently have a hang on filter, is that the only way of supporting the nitrifying bacteria??
- Fish is lethargic

Upvote 0
OP
OP

1980tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Fish is lethargic
IMG_6928.jpeg

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the remaining fish breathing rapidly? That is the key symptom for diagnosing velvet.
Jay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I see severe bacterial versus velvet but white lighting would really clarify what is on fish. As asked- How are other fish in tank- any signs or clear?

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Disagree. there is no evidence that the seachem alert badge does not work after 2 weeks, however - agree - there needs to be more information - as @vetteguy53081 said above.

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This may be a stupid question but how do I cycle a bare bottom tank with no live rock which I plan to treat with Cupramine? I don’t currently have a hang on filter, is that the only way of supporting the nitrifying bacteria??
You don't need to cycle anything - you just need to take out xx gallons of water with copper concentration of yy, and replace it with xx gallons of water with copper concentration of yy

Upvote 0
OP
OP

1980tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the remaining fish breathing rapidly? That is the key symptom for diagnosing velvet.
Jay
No I wouldn’t say so. It was more the Scopas before it died was swimming into things, breathing quickly and laying on his side. The other two fish had no symptoms that I had noticed before they died but they were the smallest fish in the tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

1980tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see severe bacterial versus velvet but white lighting would really clarify what is on fish. As asked- How are other fish in tank- any signs or clear?
An update, the Jewel Puffer has died and the Coral Beauty's side fins are being destroyed

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say what’s going on here, but if the fish aren’t breathing really fast, I’d say the puffer has Brooklynella. Have you started any treatment?
Jay

Upvote 0

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 60 48.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 46 37.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 17.7%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back