Sakudo4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a small Nano tank and had a couple fish in it
they all died of velvet
I'm going fishless for 6 weeks
what happens to the reef tank with out fish ?
will it be ok ? with no fish / waste
do i still feed food?
feed the bacteria?

please advise ,this is the first time i deal with velvet due to not qt.

Fishy Jacket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the middle of fishless cycle (see 100 Gal bin below) using bacteria in a bottle (AquaVitro Seed) and ammonia source (Fritz Aquatics Pro Ammonium Chloride). My rock will be cycled for 2-3 months before tank is delivered/set up, so I asked for manufacturer input about keeping bacteria active after cycle/before fish. They suggested I can dose some ammonium chloride when I see ammonia go to zero. Others have suggesting adding a little food would work as well. Of course that means you watch nitrates and maybe water change before fish are added. Maybe your 6 weeks down is on the edge of "do nothing" even if some bacteria goes dormant? Not sure of that answer.

BTW: I went with dormant bacteria because I wanted to see/track the cycle given there is so much chatter out there about cycle timing, accuracy of test kits, value of of test kits, etc. This is also my first time with dry rock and kind of curious to see the differences, if I can. Also, my local stores were out of the Fritz Turbo Start. LOL I am testing water daily (today 2 weeks). However, when the tanks gets here I will stop screwing around!!

IMG_4430.jpg

OP
OP
Sakudo4

Sakudo4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank was/is already cycled and my corals are kicking but already , just my fish took a dive

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I started a small Nano tank and had a couple fish in it
they all died of velvet
I'm going fishless for 6 weeks
what happens to the reef tank with out fish ?
will it be ok ? with no fish / waste
do i still feed food?
feed the bacteria?

please advise ,this is the first time i deal with velvet due to not qt.
I wish there were pics to support velvet was the cause. Assuming velvet, You want the tank fishless for 6-8 weeks to assure there are no hosts for the flagellates to reproduce and die-off. At week 4 you can do a light surface siphoning to pick up any dead flagellates and matter
Tank itself will continue to mature and you can add bacteria occasionally such as Micro Bacter 7.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back