Ventralis Anthias - Let's See Them!!

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else currently have these gorgeous fish in their system? If yes, let's see some pics!!!

Here's mine:

24008721045_99e25625cd_b.jpg

23640808999_1c17b22efb_b.jpg

Link to My Build Thread: http://reef2reef.com/threads/cuboid-2-0-picture-heavy.209884/

Among The Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures! One of my absolute favorite. How long have you had it? How often do you feed?

-Jordan

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering getting these beautiful fish but I heard they are finicky eaters.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering getting these beautiful fish but I heard they are finicky eaters.
Myth. I had a total of 5 since I have started this hobby all 5 ate within 3 days. I originally had 1 male and 3 females for 10 months before I moved 2 years ago but sold them off because I couldn't take my tank to the next destination. The single male I currently have ate within 2 days. I'll post a feeding video when I get a chance. He eats like a pig along with my wrasses and yellow tang.

I soak the fish eggs in Kent's garlic extract and enhance them with Seachem Vitality.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you feed?

-Jordan
I missed this portion. I feed only twice a day. 1 feeding by auto-feeder while I am at work which is mainly crushed flake food fed into the display by the return pump and the other is frozen when I get home from work. A lot of people say that Anthias need multiple feedings throughout the day (I too was once a believer of that) but I found that to be false. I can see that would be true on the reef where there are hundreds of anthias in a shoal competing for food; so, yes, food would be scarce and they would constantly be searching the water column for food. In a home, aquarium there is no need when I can give it the ample amounts of food it needs in a single moment.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome marquiseo! These have to be some of my favorite Anthias. What temp are you running your tank at? I've heard that these like the water a lil cooler...

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish...........is it eating the flake you mention? What brand?
I am pretty sure it is. I'm not home to see but I'll add some today and see. It's the Omega One super color flake food.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome marquiseo! These have to be some of my favorite Anthias. What temp are you running your tank at? I've heard that these like the water a lil cooler...
Thanks! I run from 77-81. I don't regulate the temp. I have never had issues. I only see increased activity with higher temp. I, also, adjust the amount of food with the temp to compensate for the increased metabolism at higher temps. Yes, they come from a cooler temp but I don't see issues with the fish in my tank temp. I can't really ask the fish which temp it prefers so it will have to deal with what I am providing lol.

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myth. I had a total of 5 since I have started this hobby all 5 ate within 3 days. I originally had 1 male and 3 females for 10 months before I moved 2 years ago but sold them off because I couldn't take my tank to the next destination. The single male I currently have ate within 2 days. I'll post a feeding video when I get a chance. He eats like a pig along with my wrasses and yellow tang.

I soak the fish eggs in Kent's garlic extract and enhance them with Seachem Vitality.

That's fantastic! What fish eggs brand do you use? How timid are these guys?

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fantastic! What fish eggs brand do you use? How timid are these guys?
I just go to the Asian market and buy it there. I rinse it in a net as much as possible. It was very timid at first. It would dash into the rocks when anyone approached the tank but now it only dashes when I stick my hands in the tanks but remains out when when I do not.
image.jpeg

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corn syrup, salt, msg and yellow food coloring in that roe. Hope you rinse it really well. Wonder if there is any pure unseasoned roe out there.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corn syrup, salt, msg and yellow food coloring in that roe. Hope you rinse it really well. Wonder if there is any pure unseasoned roe out there.
Those ingredients aren't harmful and pose no threat. Those are sugars, salt, and food coloring. Your body naturally produces MSG. Either way I rinse it thoroughly so it diluted as much as possible. I have fed fish roe for several years with many of the fish I have kept with any ill effects.

Yes, you can buy whole capelin fish and cut them open to get eggs. Most of the time you will get several fish holding eggs.

chomoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I don't have any yet but they are on my "must have" for my upcoming build.

chomoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on timing for adding these guys into the tank? I was thinking of doing my two clowns, then a trio of these guys afterwards into a 120 DT.

Assuming they should go in before tangs and more aggressive feeders, correct?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back