Ventralis Anthias - Let's See Them!!

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came to my LFS and look what I found, a ventralis male, it's been here for two weeks, eating like a champ and is fat as a pig, The manager said if I take it today Will be 119+ taxes, total spent $129
Yoooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo
92ed38e9262a4a491950ee054a8c75bf.jpg

55e1ae03b1d09fb9da93a6bd7beccd0e.jpg

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recent updates on the ventralis? I've had my pair from the Philippines for a couple years now and FINALLY just found a few more I'm hoping to add from the Marshall islands

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is everyone purchasing their ventralis? And how do you (if you do) QT them? Thanks!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trouble with ventralis is that it needs a calm, cool tank. Otherwise it will not do well.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trouble with ventralis is that it needs a calm, cool tank. Otherwise it will not do well.

My tank I try to keep around 76 but usually its 78 and can exceed that on hot days. My pair has thrived in the past 2 years. The male was a female and ni ow even has streamers. I'd say cool water helps for sure but frequent small feedings and calm tank are more important.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is everyone purchasing their ventralis? And how do you (if you do) QT them? Thanks!

I dont QT and wouldnt recommend QT for any sensitive/delicate fish. They dont come up for sale often. I've only seen them twice in 2 years and get more expensive each time.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank I try to keep around 76 but usually its 78 and can exceed that on hot days. My pair has thrived in the past 2 years. The male was a female and ni ow even has streamers. I'd say cool water helps for sure but frequent small feedings and calm tank are more important.

That's great to know--my tank is maintained at 77-78 degrees, so it should be low enough to keep deep-water anthias. How do they behave in your tank (swim level, activity, whether they are very shy and stay in caves, etc)? What do you feed them, do you target feed, and do you supplement their diet with copepods? I currently feed my tank 3x per day FYI and want to be sure (if I consider purchasing them) that I can provide a good environment for them.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the tankmates that you have with it? I am considering giving them a try but I have tangs in the tank.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to know--my tank is maintained at 77-78 degrees, so it should be low enough to keep deep-water anthias. How do they behave in your tank (swim level, activity, whether they are very shy and stay in caves, etc)? What do you feed them, do you target feed, and do you supplement their diet with copepods? I currently feed my tank 3x per day FYI and want to be sure (if I consider purchasing them) that I can provide a good environment for them.

Bare in mind cooler is certainly better and plays a big part in reducing stress. I would try and keep it cooler if I were you. I have a chiller I just haven't hooked up yet. The male is more bold and is usually out just a few inches from their ledge. The female is usually under the ledge or in the back. They dart out for food but my tank is getting more boisterous as my other fish grow but they seem to be ok so long as I can get enough food to them. I first got them eating with reef nutrition R.O.E. and then other roe and eventually they took to just about anything. Their diet is zooplankton in the wild so pods aren't on the menu. They prefer dimly lit tanks but my male has certainly adjusted to the brighter light- female not so much. They are certainly shy as well but get bolder over time. 3x a day is minimum feeding once established. Probably need double that for the first month or so.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the tankmates that you have with it? I am considering giving them a try but I have tangs in the tank.

I have a 6ft 150 gal with 3 acanthurus tangs, hippo tang, yellow tang, pair of borbonius anthias, pair of pictillis anthias, and a bunch more less boisterous fish. It's getting a bit loud in there since they've all grown in a bit but the ventralis were introduced before I had the 3 acanthurus tangs and before the other anthias became more aggressive. It was a very mellow tank when they were introduced.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6ft 150 gal with 3 acanthurus tangs, hippo tang, yellow tang, pair of borbonius anthias, pair of pictillis anthias, and a bunch more less boisterous fish. It's getting a bit loud in there since they've all grown in a bit but the ventralis were introduced before I had the 3 acanthurus tangs and before the other anthias became more aggressive. It was a very mellow tank when they were introduced.
Thanks. I may give it a try. I have a 90gal with basically no fish in it as well so I’ll get them eating and in good shape in there first before going over to the 210g

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I may give it a try. I have a 90gal with basically no fish in it as well so I’ll get them eating and in good shape in there first before going over to the 210g
Be sure to have good dark shelf ledges. They definitely prefer them

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am lucky enough to have found a ventralis male!!! He will be arriving Saturday.

My tank is at 76 degrees. Any suggestions for drip acclimation? I'm planning to have new salinity-matched water prepared to change him over to from the shipping bag once he temp acclimates. Any signs to watch out for? And how long should I expect him to hide?

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am lucky enough to have found a ventralis male!!! He will be arriving Saturday.

My tank is at 76 degrees. Any suggestions for drip acclimation? I'm planning to have new salinity-matched water prepared to change him over to from the shipping bag once he temp acclimates. Any signs to watch out for? And how long should I expect him to hide?

Can always add a chiller. Use ROE to get it feeding. I used reef nutrition. Nutramar ova works too and LRS ROE but ree nutrition was thei favorite. I'd keep the lights low for a few days

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back