Vermetid Snail/ Pest ID

ReefSoup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but just looking for confirmation that these are vermetid snails I just discovered in my tank. I added some new zoas to my tank about a month ago and just noticed 1 of these on the frag plugs of 4 of the new frags. First saw them last night and they have moved at all. These are the best photos I could get for the time being, but they're small and a light-ish brown (ignore the green cyano, I'm currently treating for bryopsis first then will take care of the cyano).

#reefsquad

Pest ID 1_20200717_LI.jpg
Pest ID 2_20200717_LI.jpg

OP
OP
ReefSoup

ReefSoup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, vermetid snails :)
Thought so. I've been reading conflicting posts that say you should remove as many of them as you can, while others say you'll drive yourself crazy trying to get rid of them and they'll eventually dwindle in number. Assuming the best course of action is to try to manually remove the few I've found and hope for the best? Are they a major threat to my zoas or mainly just an irritant?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When vermetid snails feed, they release a mucus web to catch particulates. This mucus web has been reported to irritate corals, to the point of having die off. If they're near a coral, it's best to remove them.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought so. I've been reading conflicting posts that say you should remove as many of them as you can, while others say you'll drive yourself crazy trying to get rid of them and they'll eventually dwindle in number. Assuming the best course of action is to try to manually remove the few I've found and hope for the best? Are they a major threat to my zoas or mainly just an irritant?
Had them for eons....an irritant IMO. Mine typically release the web only when I am cleaning the tank. Or stirring things up. I have a few Bubblebee snails which seem to feed on the smaller ones, and keep them in check. They haven't killed any of my corals, although I am mainly softie based....

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had them for eons....an irritant IMO. Mine typically release the web only when I am cleaning the tank. Or stirring things up. I have a few Bubblebee snails which seem to feed on the smaller ones, and keep them in check. They haven't killed any of my corals, although I am mainly softie based....
Same here. Tried fighting them but they spread everywhere, even in the plumbing. So I've just learned to live with them and so have my corals. More of an eye sore than anything else.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. Tried fighting them but they spread everywhere, even in the plumbing. So I've just learned to live with them and so have my corals. More of an eye sore than anything else.
Stick your hands in and....here come the vermitids! Lol.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for coming in late on this, one of tank has some of these in the pics, but they Never cast that web. I have seen the other ones that cast that evil web and they have bigger calcerous skeleton with a visible opening. Are the two one and the same?

Thx

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back