Vermited snails or something else?

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have seen these little white vermited snail looking things populate the skeleton of my frogspawn coral and now my rock and back of the tank

Are these vermited snails or some type of filter feeder? I have not seen any mucas feeding nets from them

20240104_235105.jpg

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spirorbid worms! Harmless but will cover everything until they all mysteriously disappear after 8 months or so lol
Yup was just researching those,
I assume that they are little filter feeders, could they possibly be harmful if they cover the skeletons of corals?

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup was just researching those,
I assume that they are little filter feeders, could they possibly be harmful if they cover the skeletons of corals?

Yup, filter feeders! Not harmful! Just an eyesore to some. Personally, they covered all my rocks and base of corals, even the glass (i scraped them off regularly) and shells of other snails, crabs, etc. But I barely noticed them; they're small and blend in to the scene!

After a while they all started disappearing. Maybe they all choked eachother out? Maybe something ate them? Not sure lol

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, filter feeders! Not harmful! Just an eyesore to some. Personally, they covered all my rocks and base of corals, even the glass (i scraped them off regularly) and shells of other snails, crabs, etc. But I barely noticed them; they're small and blend in to the scene!

After a while they all started disappearing. Maybe they all choked eachother out? Maybe something ate them? Not sure lol
Ok good to hear,
I do dip all my corals, but they must have survived the dip or came in on a hermit crab or other snail is what I think. As long as they don't harm my corals then they are fine, and if they aren't nice to look at then yeah I could just scrape them off I suppose
Thanks for the reply!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back