Vermitids? Not sure what these are

crazybanana2

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 7, 2026
Messages
50
Reaction score
22
Location
Socal
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They randomly popped up today, growing on flesh of my acan.

IMG_1740.jpeg IMG_1738.jpeg
 
If that's a brand new frag, then I'd say yes, Vermitid, and honestly - right now tonight - I might be tempted to just pitch that frag 😬

I've been dealing with Vermitid snails for some time now, and I've added some bumble bee snails, which are natural predators of the Vermitid (and other) snails.

But, recently I was handling some rock with the Vermitids, and I very lightly scratched my thumb on one of their little "snouts". That 'barely scratched' thumb led to a trip to the Urgent Care for an antibiotic. Just that scratch led to a very, very painful infection just a couple days later.

Please know, the Vermitid did not cause my infection, rather, it caused a small puncture, which got infected. I *believe* that my wound was infected by some species of Vibrio bacteria, which are widespread, and are almost inevitably in our marine tanks.

I'd take precautions against the Vermitids, but the greater lesson I'd like to leave is to wear gloves and be careful when handling rocks in your tank 🙂

Best of luck!
 
If that's a brand new frag, then I'd say yes, Vermitid, and honestly - right now tonight - I might be tempted to just pitch that frag 😬

I've been dealing with Vermitid snails for some time now, and I've added some bumble bee snails, which are natural predators of the Vermitid (and other) snails.

But, recently I was handling some rock with the Vermitids, and I very lightly scratched my thumb on one of their little "snouts". That 'barely scratched' thumb led to a trip to the Urgent Care for an antibiotic. Just that scratch led to a very, very painful infection just a couple days later.

Please know, the Vermitid did not cause my infection, rather, it caused a small puncture, which got infected. I *believe* that my wound was infected by some species of Vibrio bacteria, which are widespread, and are almost inevitably in our marine tanks.

I'd take precautions against the Vermitids, but the greater lesson I'd like to leave is to wear gloves and be careful when handling rocks in your tank 🙂

Best of luck!
If that's a brand new frag, then I'd say yes, Vermitid, and honestly - right now tonight - I might be tempted to just pitch that frag 😬

I've been dealing with Vermitid snails for some time now, and I've added some bumble bee snails, which are natural predators of the Vermitid (and other) snails.

But, recently I was handling some rock with the Vermitids, and I very lightly scratched my thumb on one of their little "snouts". That 'barely scratched' thumb led to a trip to the Urgent Care for an antibiotic. Just that scratch led to a very, very painful infection just a couple days later.

Please know, the Vermitid did not cause my infection, rather, it caused a small puncture, which got infected. I *believe* that my wound was infected by some species of Vibrio bacteria, which are widespread, and are almost inevitably in our marine tanks.

I'd take precautions against the Vermitids, but the greater lesson I'd like to leave is to wear gloves and be careful when handling rocks in your tank 🙂

Best of luck!
Ok good to know, thank you for the information!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new