Versa buildup in tubing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
scrapz

scrapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently you missed my list where the versa was listed as a product I own. So I am confused by your failure to see it. Anyway, the owner of the company is trying to help you out. Don't be a dick. I am not an Ecotech fan boy, just a fan of good tech. Stay Salty

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 9.16.22 PM.png

Yes, focus in on my ONE mistake . Address my other topics, oh you can't. You'll just throw some name calling around like a child.

Is that coralline algae where the rollers don't touch. Thanks again for proving my point. You're doing a great job over there defending a company that I'm not attacking.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my versa with a kamoer it was way to loud at 60ml a minute. Its a great pump but I think it's better for auto water changes and dosing. Just not the best option for a calcium reactor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scrapz

scrapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my versa with a kamoer it was way to loud at 60ml a minute. Its a great pump but I thinks it's better for auto water changes and dosing. Just not the best option for a calcium reactor.

Agreed but thats another topic for itself.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I replaced my versa with a kamoer it was way to loud at 60ml a minute. Its a great pump but I think it's better for auto water changes and dosing. Just not the best option for a calcium reactor.

I did the opposite for the same reason. I had the Kamoer and found it to be really loud -at 30ML a minute. Versa is dead quite for me but you run double what I do.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stated from the app to the G5's to the Versa, that it put customer's into a mass beta test group

And.. after the Vectra V1's Eco-T should have known better this time around.

But if you guys can not cool it down to a respectful ( to each other) discussion, then this thread will be locked for good.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the opposite for the same reason. I had the Kamoer and found it to be really loud -at 30ML a minute. Versa is dead quite for me but you run double what I do.
That's funny my kamoer is very quite and so was the versa at low speed but once you speed it up it get loud.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discoloration is not the issue. It is the buildup of coraline algae within the tubing that eventually restrict the flow that is the issue . It's the exact same reason we prefer PVC overr clear vinyl tubing. Sure we can argue that the rolling action prevent this somehow by crushing it constantly and moving it out of the tubing. Micro pieces could still build up and eventually clog the tubes? Again this is a speculation based on my observation and only time will if I am right or wrong. I just know by looking at my vinyl return tubing that it's time for it yearly change due to coraline buildup.

As far as the push/pull comment. I've run the 3 pumps( kamoer fx-stp, litemeter III and masterflex (borrowed from a buddy) in the same position as the ecotech versa, all in pull configuration for years without issue. This pump ran fine for a month or two becoming the siphon issues started. It definitely had buildup issue as I've had to unplug and blow through the tubes as the other person mentioned here. Before even purchasing this pump, I made sure to check the pull head height (18ft IRRC) and the total length including reactor and lines equated to less than 5ft.

Can you describe more clearly what happens when the pump stops moving fluid?
It just stops working. I know this because I take a look at Apex's PH graph and it just sit flat.

Is the rotor still turning?
Yes it is. In order to restart the siphon I have to manually run it at 100% to reprime the lines.

Is there air in the peristaltic line or is it still 100% filled with liquid?
The intake line is filled 100% with water. The intake line holder is attached to my sump(same position as other pumps) in the last portion where there are little to 0 microbubbles.

Does air regularly make its way out of the output line on your calcium reactor?
No idea, I just look for consistency of droplets vs time.

What is the date of manufacture of your unit?
I'd have to look but its early production as I purchased the unit as soon as it released.
Now that all parties have had a chance to get a good nights sleep and reflect on the previous days events.

scrapz, Only in an effort to make sense (for myself and maybe other readers) of this, I'd like to understand a few things that you state in this post. Specifically the bold section,

As far as the push/pull comment. I've run the 3 pumps( kamoer fx-stp, litemeter III and masterflex (borrowed from a buddy) in the same position as the ecotech versa, all in pull configuration for years without issue. This pump ran fine for a month or two becoming the siphon issues started.

It is the buildup of coraline algae within the tubing that eventually restrict the flow that is the issue .

when I read the coralline statement and then the configuration in which you had the versa (pulling), my mind went straight to, "It can't be coralline because the pH of the CaRx outlet will be the same as the pH inside the reactor in which the job is to break down dead coral." Someone please correct me if that line of thinking is incorrect. But I'm to assume that caoralline can't grow in that low pH environment. And what baffles me is that I also have a versa set up on the back side of the CaRx (pulling) and that tube is as clear and clean as the day I got it. And again someone has to correct me on this one as well, but I've always thought that algae had a hard time in the low pH environment as well.

I also have 2 versas that are set up for AWC and they get that reddish/brown film on the inside much like what eastamherstbias has in his versa.

A2Ndmm5l.jpg

I assume that it's slime or algae build up, i'm tempted to try and grab a sample and look at it under a microscope to ascertain what it is, but it's not causing any restriction problems. I've been checking the calibration on a monthly bases and they never seem to need major adjustments.

I'm curios why my CaRx tube is yielding different results when they're being used in the same fashion, I use reborn and keep my pH inside the reactor between 6.95-7.00.

For comparison, here's the versa that is being used for the CaRx
fDNZQSRl.jpg

I'm thinking that the siphoning issue has nothing to do with build up in the tube and it's something completely different altogether. I've also used the FX-STP as well as a Masterflex (I can pull them together for a photo if someone wants to challenge me on that) the Versa holds up just as well as the other 2 and for a fraction of the cost.

Can you post a picture of your pump so I can get a good look at what the inside of the tube looks like?

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the rotor still turning?
Yes it is. In order to restart the siphon I have to manually run it at 100% to reprime the lines.

Is there air in the peristaltic line or is it still 100% filled with liquid?
The intake line is filled 100% with water. The intake line holder is attached to my sump(same position as other pumps) in the last portion where there are little to 0 microbubbles.

What is the date of manufacture of your unit?
I'd have to look but its early production as I purchased the unit as soon as it released.

Thank you, now we are getting somewhere. Definitely get me the date of manufacture of this pump. Did you have the tubing carrier replaced with the "updated" style which features two o-rings for the Push-to-Connect seal?

I'm thinking that the siphoning issue has nothing to do with build up in the tube and it's something completely different altogether. I've also used the FX-STP as well as a Masterflex (I can pull them together for a photo if someone wants to challenge me on that) the Versa holds up just as well as the other 2 and for a fraction of the cost.

There's nothing physical about buildup within the tube of any sort that would cause a loss of prime. It could create reduction in flow, if the ID were reduced substantially, or increase the torque required to run the motor resulting in a stall condition (the pump would stop but not lose prime), potentially. These are both different symptoms than what scrapz is describing. He is describing that his pump is turning as designed but flow is not coming out of the end of it. That means the seal achieved between the tubing and rollers is breached somehow.

I believe scrapz could be suffering from a bad tube assembly that needs to be addressed and I deeply regret and apologize for the inconvenience this has caused him. I do hope that everyone on here has calmed down overnight and that this thread can achieve a peaceful resolution.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back