Vertex Cerebra Forum

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought it important to share that there is a good group of us beta testers for the Cerebra on the Vertex created forum dedicated to the controller. Access is only allowed to owners of the unit so sadly you won't be able to peruse its contents.

The only reason I wanted to mention was the lack of discussion of the unit on any reef forums I'm on but I wouldn't associate that with lack of progress and excitement over the new controller. We're just all focused on their forum right now.

I'm very pleased so far with the unit going into the fact that it is truly beta. Surprisingly, I'm having the most fun using it and suggesting things to the manufacturer. Their response level and communication level is epic and it feels great to know that some of your suggestions will be shaping the final form of this product.

Anyways, hopefully us guinea pigs will help make this thing great. I've been an Apex fanboy for the last 6 years (have two units) so I've been a little torn over my excitement over this new controller but in the end, competition should benefit the customers so I welcome it and so far been impressed not only with the new hardware but more so with the tech support and development team support by Vertex.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only position that I can say about the unit is that I think it's too big. ( in my opinion) I have limited space as it is. I can not say anything about performance or anything else

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only position that I can say about the unit is that I think it's too big. ( in my opinion) I have limited space as it is. I can not say anything about performance or anything else
Curious if you have the unit. Although many find it big, it is my experience that it is far smaller than people imagine. When I first opened it last month in our club meeting nearly all felt it was smaller than they imagined.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, all the talk before it came out was how big it was. In person, its bigger than an Apex but not as bulky looking in person honestly.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know the controller is only 3 inches deep but I'm looking at the unboxingbof the plugs(?)
And they seem (watching unboxing videos) too big. Almost all of my equipment needs to fit in my stand
No I don't have one I have a Apex

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know the controller is only 3 inches deep but I'm looking at the unboxingbof the plugs(?)
And they seem (watching unboxing videos) too big. Almost all of my equipment needs to fit in my stand
No I don't have one I have a Apex
Oh, well yes, the power bars are HUGE! For my 215-gallon, it probably fits right in but on a nano, it would look ridiculous.

Here's the size comparative to a Apex classic EB8 and the head unit.
3dcbef5ec3be69d8620346765d7a6ee0.jpg

I say think of cellphones. When the first larger iPhone or Samsung phone came out, everyone was gasping about how ridiculously big they were... It was like talking on a tablet. Now, everybody has them and they look normal. [emoji4]

I'll take the larger size if it gives me realtime current usage on each plug. The cloud setup will allow you to input your cost per kWh so you know how much exactly it is costing you to run your tank. That might be good or bad. [emoji53]

98b2ac1c04ab91e65a29ddaa4a3fde2b.jpg

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I see what looks like lots of wasted space around those plug. I kind of like the new Apex EB8 because it has the plugs offset to make room for oversized plugs but personally I think too much ( and on the new apex you have realtime energy usage I believe as well) I could be wrong

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I see what looks like lots of wasted space around those plug. I kind of like the new Apex EB8 because it has the plugs offset to make room for oversized plugs but personally I think too much ( and on the new apex you have realtime energy usage I believe as well) I could be wrong
I do like the touch that the new Apex made with the distribution of their plugs and wished Vertex had done the same but this is their initial entry into the controller market so I won't nitpick. Yes, the new apex powerbars have the ability to monitor power usage.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, there forum is nice. If you have a question they get right back to you with an answer. I also like that there is no one saying it's to big, the cords are to short. It's just a nice focus on working with the controller.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, there forum is nice. If you have a question they get right back to you with an answer. I also like that there is no one saying it's to big, the cords are to short. It's just a nice focus on working with the controller.
My sentiments exactly. It allows you to constructively work with the developers of the system and others that have it without being interrupted with off-topic debates on controllers.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish for those of us waiting for the 2nd batch of pre-orders, if we could proactively register to follow along...I'd love to read up on the discussions.
If I was in your position, I'd probably wish the same. You actually have to get approved even after registering with your serial number of your unit. It's like the TSA in there! [emoji4]

Richard Schmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my controller last week. Where should I go to set up an account for their forum?
If it's a long turn around time to be registered I would like to start now, since install will be a couple of weeks before stand is completed.
I would like to have all the current information available before I find I reinvented the wheel. Information is a good thing.
I actually don't mind I had to pay to be a beta user. Everything has to start somewhere, and I would like to think any input I could provide may help create a better product.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my controller last week. Where should I go to set up an account for their forum?
If it's a long turn around time to be registered I would like to start now, since install will be a couple of weeks before stand is completed.
I would like to have all the current information available before I find I reinvented the wheel. Information is a good thing.
I actually don't mind I had to pay to be a beta user. Everything has to start somewhere, and I would like to think any input I could provide may help create a better product.
https://forum.cerebra.club

You'll usually get approved the same day.

If you're using on a new tank, I'd for sure have everything working on a dry run before livestock is involved. It truly is in Beta form which is why it's only running my frag tank now and not my display tank. I'm not saying it can't run a tank fully in its current condition but I wouldn't trust it with any complicated tasks such as running calcium reactors or dosers yet until we flush out any bugs first. Joys of being an early adopter, beta tester. I say that sarcastically but it's actually pretty fun. [emoji4]

Fernando Rubin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just receive my unit last week, I tried to use the Cerebra Cloud Access Card , it read out invalid code, I purchase the unit from aquacave did leave a message. Any ideas I'd like to start getting into the groove

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just receive my unit last week, I tried to use the Cerebra Cloud Access Card , it read out invalid code, I purchase the unit from aquacave did leave a message. Any ideas I'd like to start getting into the groove
They are still migrating the cloud platform to Amazon servers. The hope is the end of this week it'll be online. For now, go to the link I referenced in the last post for access to the Cerebra forum. Use your serial number on the back of your box for registration.

Fernando Rubin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still migrating the cloud platform to Amazon servers. The hope is the end of this week it'll be online. For now, go to the link I referenced in the last post for access to the Cerebra forum. Use your serial number on the back of your box for registration.
Thank you

Kevin T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of us waiting for the next batch of hardware have silently gone into the dark as folks move to the Vertex forum. I'm anxious to get my hands on one!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back