Vertical tank build

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I’ve been wanting to build my own tank for a while now and I think I want it to be a vertical tank. I have lots of ideas for the scape and stocking I want to try and do some unique stuff but BEFORE all of that I have to actually build the tank and plumb it something I’ve never done before. So my question Is,

My tank dimensions are going to be 2’ 2’ 3’tall
So should I use glass or acrylic, I’ve never worked with either but I want to build it very strong.

also I can’t decide if I want to make this tank viewable from all four sides or just three and black out the back. If I make it viewable from all four sides I will have to run the plumbing threw the middle of the scape and hide it.

if you guys have any advice/threads that you think would be helpful taht would be awesome:) thanks in advance

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I’ve been wanting to build my own tank for a while now and I think I want it to be a vertical tank. I have lots of ideas for the scape and stocking I want to try and do some unique stuff but BEFORE all of that I have to actually build the tank and plumb it something I’ve never done before. So my question Is,

So should I use glass or acrylic, I’ve never worked with either but I want to build it very strong.

also I can’t decide if I want to make this tank viewable from all four sides or just three and black out the back. If I make it viewable from all four sides I will have to run the plumbing threw the middle of the scape and hide it.

if you guys have any advice/threads that you think would be helpful taht would be awesome:) thanks in advance
Have you got extra long arms, lol

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your reason for going that tall? I ask because while 36 inches is not that unreasonable but it may be difficult for the fish to swim in upper column unless it swims vertically up.

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Are you going to be keeping coral or do you plan on a FOWLR? Is this your first tank? As for structural materials, its been a while since I looked, but you can find calculators that determine the thickness you will need for either material. I tend to stay away from acrylic because I don't like how easy it can scratch and don't want to deal with it yellowing from my lights over time.
My opinion when it comes to viewing... if you're going to do it 3 feet then are you doing a short stand? Are your plumbing through the floor and into the basement for the sump? I would think that viewing it from only 3 sides and having the back for all the equipment might be more convenient. Try using some cardboard boxes that you rebuild in the appropriate dimensions and see if you'll have enough space based on what you choose. I'd also do the same thing and pretend that you're looking into it. Do you find that you'll be looking up (and into the lights) based on the height of your stand.
I hope all these thoughts and questions help as you take this journey. Best of luck!

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your reason for going that tall? I ask because while 36 inches is not that unreasonable but it may be difficult for the fish to swim in upper column unless it swims vertically up.
I just thought it would look nice. My hope is that there is enough room for the fish to swim around the middle structure. I also don’t plan on putting any huge fish in it I was thinking hawk fish and cardinal fish. With some other oddball mixed in

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I do not have particularly long arms. I wondered if that would be a problem;)
I recently switched from a 75 to a 90, and didn't think anything of the "my armpit gets wet" complaints when I saw them, mostly due to anxious excitement. I have definitely noticed I am waaaaaay less likely to stick my arms down in there, and yes - at 6ft tall, my armpits are wet every single time.

Does that coral that fell over reaaaally need uprighting? Is it worth the $400 I spent on it? I guuuuuess.... (except all my corals less than like $20) but u get the point

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to be keeping coral or do you plan on a FOWLR? Is this your first tank? As for structural materials, its been a while since I looked, but you can find calculators that determine the thickness you will need for either material. I tend to stay away from acrylic because I don't like how easy it can scratch and don't want to deal with it yellowing from my lights over time.
My opinion when it comes to viewing... if you're going to do it 3 feet then are you doing a short stand? Are your plumbing through the floor and into the basement for the sump? I would think that viewing it from only 3 sides and having the back for all the equipment might be more convenient. Try using some cardboard boxes that you rebuild in the appropriate dimensions and see if you'll have enough space based on what you choose. I'd also do the same thing and pretend that you're looking into it. Do you find that you'll be looking up (and into the lights) based on the height of your stand.
I hope all these thoughts and questions help as you take this journey. Best of luck!
No it’s not my first saltwater tank just the first one I’ve built myself. I want to make it a reef system with different corals for the different heights and light levels. I want a couple over hangs where I plan on putting suncorals upside down. I’m not sure on the stand height yet but I was thinking something shorter than normal

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th e cardboard box idea is great

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The height is not the problem you can use grabbing tools to help. I just see most of the fish being down low. Also water circulation could be an issue

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from a 75 to a 90, and didn't think anything of the "my armpit gets wet" complaints when I saw them, mostly due to anxious excitement. I have definitely noticed I am waaaaaay less likely to stick my arms down in there, and yes - at 6ft tall, my armpits are wet every single time.

Does that coral that fell over reaaaally need uprighting? Is it worth the $400 I spent on it? I guuuuuess.... (except all my corals less than like $20) but u get the point
Yes *sigh* I’ve thought about this as well and I don’t know how I feel about it. Still riding the excitement

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The height is not the problem you can use grabbing tools to help. I just see most of the fish being down low. Also water circulation could be an issue
Hmmm, I don’t have any experience with tanks like this so I’m not sure. My idea was that if I built a structure up the middle with lots of caves and ledges it would encourage the fish to use more of the vertical space

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what about lights if you do overhanging corals they will shade
Yeah I would only be able to put corals in specific places. I was thinking I will put my NPS under the ledges and lower light corals when appropriate.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I want to go with glass for the tank. Do you guys know what type of glass is best? There might be endless forums on this already. If you guys know of some I’d gladly read them

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like tall tanks as I have a 40 tall but you need room for the fish to gradually swim up. Think of a submarine it needs space to surface. Unless it’s a six line wrasse those guys go vertical like they are in an f14

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back