OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like tall tanks as I have a 40 tall but you need room for the fish to gradually swim up. Think of a submarine it needs space to surface. Unless it’s a six line wrasse those guys go vertical like they are in an f14
I see. Is that Because of the pressure change or is it just the nature of how most fish swim more horizontally as opposed to vertically ?

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just how they swim especially like tangs I typically don’t see them going str vertical

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this definitely won’t work for tangs. Do you think cardinal fish will work or are they still going to have a pretty hard time?
Probably just how they swim especially like tangs I typically don’t see

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping that they would kinda float from the top to the bottom and stick around the middle

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals are not strong swimmers they like to school and usually in a safe area by some rocks

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36" cube and my tangs definitely will swim straight up and down, especially when chasing food. It's the 24" x 24" that I think would be kind of restricting for them. As for glass or acrylic, where as I'm more of an acrylic fan, in this case I would advocate going with glass. You are going to have to get real good at using the long grabber tools, have at least two of them, one for each hand. That leads to other issues to consider. You'll need plenty of room above the tank to maneuver those grabbers. So you'll want to have a lighting setup that can be moved out of the way. Still, things will drop/bang against the sides which is why I'd recommend glass, thick glass. (Rimless if possible.) It's also easier to scrape coralline algae towards the bottom off glass using a magnetic scrapper.
On the flip side, there are many benefits and cool things you can do with the extra depth. Your idea of "... that if I built a structure up the middle with lots of caves and ledges it would encourage the fish to use more of the vertical space." is something I've always wanted to do, especially being seen from all sides. Forget the tangs and go with other fish that will utilize the structure and small shoaling fish. One thing I've noticed is that when the fish get startled, they tend to dive deep instead of jumping out.
There's just one other thing you have to do, make a build thread! I want to watch.:face-with-monocle:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I want to go with glass for the tank. Do you guys know what type of glass is best? There might be endless forums on this already. If you guys know of some I’d gladly read them
You basically either want to do the standard plate/float glass or a low-iron glass (like Starphire glass). The low-iron is slightly clearer and more expensive, but some people say it scratches more easily and some people think some kinds may yellow with age (I have not seen any empirical evidence to back either of these cons, these are just what I’ve seen people say). Standard plate/float glass (called annealed glass) is slightly less clear (many people note that they can’t tell the difference unless they see the two side by side), but it is cheaper, known to be the most scratch resistant material used in the hobby, and it for sure won’t yellow over time.

If crystal clear viewing is your top priority, and you’re not too concerned about scratching - go with the low-iron. If not going over budget (or not going over too far) is your priority - go with the standard annealed glass.

You do not want to use heat-strengthened or tempered glass (they’re both stronger than normal glass, but they both are less clear than normal glass too, and the way tempered glass breaks makes it considered a bit of a safety hazard for anything larger than nano aquaria).

Also, with regards to tank material thickness, most recommendations I’ve seen say to use the same thickness for either glass or acrylic, because while acrylic is stronger, it also bends more - so the extra thickness for the acrylic is basically to keep it from bowing out of proportion and busting a seam that way.

A couple random notes here:
- If you were to go with acrylic for the tank, you’d want to use cell cast acrylic.
- Here’s a simple but useful glass thickness calculator for aquariums (it’s generally recommended if this is one of your first DIY tank attempts that you exceed a safety factor of 3.8, so I’d say to probably set 4.0-4.5 at a minimum as your safety factor in the input box - the calculator may recommend a thicker, more expensive glass as a result, but the thicker glass, the safer it is):
* The glass thickness calculator linked above (like every other one I’ve seen) gives the value for an unbraced, rimless tank - bracing raises the safety factor.
** Safety factor is basically just a number to describe how likely a tank is to fail under normal conditions (i.e. assuming the tank is properly built, on a level stand, etc.) - the higher the number, the safer it is.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36" cube and my tangs definitely will swim straight up and down, especially when chasing food. It's the 24" x 24" that I think would be kind of restricting for them. As for glass or acrylic, where as I'm more of an acrylic fan, in this case I would advocate going with glass. You are going to have to get real good at using the long grabber tools, have at least two of them, one for each hand. That leads to other issues to consider. You'll need plenty of room above the tank to maneuver those grabbers. So you'll want to have a lighting setup that can be moved out of the way. Still, things will drop/bang against the sides which is why I'd recommend glass, thick glass. (Rimless if possible.) It's also easier to scrape coralline algae towards the bottom off glass using a magnetic scrapper.
On the flip side, there are many benefits and cool things you can do with the extra depth. Your idea of "... that if I built a structure up the middle with lots of caves and ledges it would encourage the fish to use more of the vertical space." is something I've always wanted to do, especially being seen from all sides. Forget the tangs and go with other fish that will utilize the structure and small shoaling fish. One thing I've noticed is that when the fish get startled, they tend to dive deep instead of jumping out.
There's just one other thing you have to do, make a build thread! I want to watch.:face-with-monocle:
Thank you for the advice, I’m glad I’m not totally going off the deep end with this idea haha. I definitely am planning on a school of fish I’ve had my eyes On thread fin cardinal fish, and pajama cardinalfish. I’m really excited to have lots of corals. I want gorgonias from the bottom going up and some cool stuff like that. I think glass is the way to go it sounds like

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You basically either want to do the standard plate/float glass or a low-iron glass (like Starphire glass). The low-iron is slightly clearer and more expensive, but some people say it scratches more easily and some people think some kinds may yellow with age (I have not seen any empirical evidence to back either of these cons, these are just what I’ve seen people say). Standard plate/float glass (called annealed glass) is slightly less clear (many people note that they can’t tell the difference unless they see the two side by side), but it is cheaper, known to be the most scratch resistant material used in the hobby, and it for sure won’t yellow over time.

If crystal clear viewing is your top priority, and you’re not too concerned about scratching - go with the low-iron. If not going over budget (or not going over too far) is your priority - go with the standard annealed glass.

You do not want to use heat-strengthened or tempered glass (they’re both stronger than normal glass, but they both are less clear than normal glass too, and the way tempered glass breaks makes it considered a bit of a safety hazard for anything larger than nano aquaria).

Also, with regards to tank material thickness, most recommendations I’ve seen say to use the same thickness for either glass or acrylic, because while acrylic is stronger, it also bends more - so the extra thickness for the acrylic is basically to keep it from bowing out of proportion and busting a seam that way.

A couple random notes here:
- If you were to go with acrylic for the tank, you’d want to use cell cast acrylic.
- Here’s a simple but useful glass thickness calculator for aquariums (it’s generally recommended if this is one of your first DIY tank attempts that you exceed a safety factor of 3.8, so I’d say to probably set 4.0-4.5 at a minimum as your safety factor in the input box - the calculator may recommend a thicker, more expensive glass as a result, but the thicker glass, the safer it is):
* The glass thickness calculator linked above (like every other one I’ve seen) gives the value for an unbraced, rimless tank - bracing raises the safety factor.
** Safety factor is basically just a number to describe how likely a tank is to fail under normal conditions (i.e. assuming the tank is properly built, on a level stand, etc.) - the higher the number, the safer it is.
Awesome thanks so much for posting that link. I’m going to build a model tonight or tomorrow night and see if I really like the dimensions. I think I’ll go with glass just because I’m worried about scratches. :) thanks for the wealth of knowledge this is amazing

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it. I don't even like cubes because of their shape. Maintenance issues (too deep), fish stacked up on top of each other leads to "dive bombing", flow issues, etc. Not my cup of tea.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it. I don't even like cubes because of their shape. Maintenance issues (too deep), fish stacked up on top of each other leads to "dive bombing", flow issues, etc. Not my cup of tea.
I have a vision I’m fairly confident in :). What type of fish do you think would work best to minimize some of the problems that could arise in your experiences?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back