Vertigo's Planet Aquariums 150 build

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newbie poster, long time lurker to R2R, what better way to say hello than to start a build thread as well as track my progressions and mistakes.
The main focus of this build will be a mixed reef with a focus on SPS.

Being as this is going to be a budget build, I will be using some accessories from my current system to help save a couple bucks all the while doing as much of the work I can, myself.

Tank is a Planet Aquariums 150 ( 60x24x24 ) black silicone no center brace. 2, 1" overflow holes and 2, 3/4" return's
PA 1.jpg
PA 2.jpg

For flow I will be using a Gyre 150 for side to side, as well as a pair of Tunze Turbelle Stream 6105's for back to front flow, to help eliminate any stagnant water.

Skimming will be accomplished by a Reef Octopus, Regal 150INT again DC controlled.
For the sump I have an Eshopps RS 200, 3rd gen.

For return I am contemplating, ditching the power hungry Reeflo Dart hybrid for a Reef Octopus RODC 5500. The biggest that Reef Octopus makes currently in controllable DC pumps.
Notice the trend? I am trying to stay with energy efficient DC pumps. Not trying to cheap out, but if I can save a little $$ on the electricity bill, that means I can spend more on accessory upgrades and corals later.

I would like to go full Apex, but being as this is a budget build, I will have to go manual mode for now.
Lighting will be 3 Radion Gen 3 XR30's ( working on getting a third, anyone have one for a good price? ) supplemented by T5's should the need arise.

Now that the preliminaries are done for now, onto the meat and potatoes.

After spending a gawd awful amount of time perusing the web, looking at other stand build's, I decided to quit over thinking and start drawing up the plans.
Stand dwg.jpg

I decided on using 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8,wall A-36 for the main frame along with 3/16, A-36 gussets, as you can see, I went just a tad overboard.
For the sump support area, I used 1 x 1 x 1/16 wall A-36.
Using my trusty cheapo compound miter saw with cutoff blade, I proceeded to make lot's of noise, sparks and prodigious use of adult like word's, when a melting ember would find it's way onto soft tissue.
An hour later and I was finished.
Stand cut.jpg

A welder friend of mine offered the use of his welding machine to me, however after seeing my practice welds, he decided it in his best interest to do the welding himself.
From the above, to the below in less than 3 day's.
Stand 1.jpg
Stand 2.jpg

I also had him weld a few feet under the stand to get it off the floor in the event of a spill, I can still wipe underneath.
My wife would kill me if I didn't do what I could to keep water off the floor

These inserts will fit within the feet to help with the leveling
http://www.mcmaster.com/#leveling-feet/=10sa08v
Here are the feet.http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-leveling-mounts/=10sa2f2
part # 62805K71 is the part # for anyone interested.

To help even more with my wooden floor woe's, I had some 3/4 PVC sheet at work which I cut out to use as the sump floor, I also cut out a wall system 2 1/2" high which will be glued around the perimeter to help contain any water that either leaks or spills.

On top of the PVC sheet I will use a piece of pink foam sheeting which will cushion the sump.

I will try and get pic's up soon of the stand in it's present form but suffice it to say that , I had the stand sand blasted ( another friend ) and I primed it with Rustoleum clean steel primer and gave it 3 coats of Rustoleum hammertone silver.

I am not sure what I am going to skin the stand with, so I am open to idea's.
I did draw up a sketch of the hood although I am not completely sold on it yet?
Hood idea.jpg

Any and all opinions are welcomed.

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would revive this thread seeing as it has been over a year since starting it and life got in the way.
In the interim, I was able to pick up a few good deals on much needed tank goodies.

Thing's have changed in the needed tank accessories Dept.
Sold off the Eshopps sump and picked up and Ice-Kap 36.
Also picked up a Gen 2 Radion (for a song) that I will be upgrading to a Gen 3.
Return pump will be a Reef Octopus VarioS 8

Instead of the adjustable stand feet inserts. I had some 2" HDPE laying around work so, water jet 10 pcs 2" x 2" and had my buddy machine them to fit the feet. As well he threaded them for a 5/8 # 8 bolt which will be used for leveling adjustments. Also had him counter sink 10 pcs of Starboard that the bolts will fit into.

Also ditched the grey hammer tone paint and went with white appliance enamel.

Pardon the not so professional pic's and clutter but the good cam is packed away while our new floors are being installed. So the phone cam will have to do for now.

The original theme was to go with a white and blue color scheme but that got nixed as the skimmer is red. So I am contemplating a red and grey theme and have the sump covers made from grey acrylic.
I haven't screwed and siliconed the sump base walls yet.

Had to try the new "used" Radion to make sure all works. Plus I needed some light :).

Was going to go with a GHL controller set up but won an Apex Jr. at the yearly Fragniappe. Which I in turn was swapped out for a 2016 Apex, 2 Wav's and Neptune magnetic probe holder for a sweet deal by the Neptune Rep.
Also won a bucket of salt.

If all goes well, I will get the tank in and water tested in the next couple weeks.

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, that is looking nice!! I am going to have to get some ideas from you. Wish I had done my stand out of metal now. Were you at the fragniappe in Slidell?

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, that is looking nice!! I am going to have to get some ideas from you. Wish I had done my stand out of metal now. Were you at the fragniappe in Slidell?

Thanks.
Absolutely, there are plenty more where these came from;)

I was there with my wife. With the expection of the salt, she was the one who went to pick up the winnins, as I prefer to be behind rather than in front of the camera..:D

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Thanks.
Absolutely, there are plenty more where these came from;)

I was there with my wife. With the expection of the salt, she was the one who went to pick up the winnins, as I prefer to be behind rather than in front of the camera..:D
My wife and I were there too. We enjoyed it. I just ordered two dosing pumps for my calcium and alkalinity.

I am trying to figure out the best way to hide my wires and place all the modules and both the tablet and apex displays in the stand.

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

My wife and I were there too. We enjoyed it. I just ordered two dosing pumps for my calcium and alkalinity.

I am trying to figure out the best way to hide my wires and place all the modules and both the tablet and apex displays in the stand.

20170309_055405.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll be looking for a dosing pump next. Won 2 Artfully Acrylic dosing containers at last years Fragniappe and the Apex this year.

I am in the same boat as you. Trying to decide how to mount the new Apex and modules, as well as keep them nice and tidy yet look decent at the same time..

Maybe try running the panduit along one of the verticle wall's?

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the 2 dosing pumps and the mixes from bulk reef supply for 219. My brother has been running the same setup for years now. He hooked up the pumps to the apex outlet and set the parameters through it for the amount of dosing he wanted.

The picture is my brothers setup on his 180. Those are the dosing pumps. Not as nice looking as the neptune pumps but they work great.

D9178D0A-1.jpg

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This picture is the back of it. He cleaned up the wires but I don't have a more recent picture.

5CA12DB3-1.jpg

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Plata01 your brother has a sweet looking set up.
If you want, I can help draw out a few different designs.
All I would need is the overall dimensions for your usable space as well as dimensions for the different components.

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will measure everything soon. Trying to figure out what kind of wood to use for the inside panels where I am going to screw the modules on. Also looking for some nice inexpensive containers for my doses.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very clean. I just got a tank with the same dimensions from the same company. I'm happy to follow along to see what you are doing with it.

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my lack of keeping up to date with the build. Have had some family issues that took precedence.

That being said, while I wasn't of the mind set to think out the build and take pictures all at the same time. I did, however filler up and am on my way to stocking.

I originally was planning on 2 rock islands, but the tank looked kinda bare.

First scape.jpg
First scape 2.jpg

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although the clowns are loving it ( working on their 3rd batch of eggs) I felt kind of blasé about the scape.

Sooooo, here is what I came up with tonight. The rocks were acid washed, then bleach soaked.
New Scape..jpg
New Scape 2.jpg

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts, on the scape. The canopy and stand interior are still under construction. So much to get done and so little daylight to get it done in when 1 leaves for work in the dark and get's home in the dark...1 day I'll win the lottery though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back