vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Plata,
Thanks for following.

The Diatoms are finally starting to dissapate after 3 weeks, thankfully. I was worried I had Dinos.

I have been thinking of building a new aquascape, as I am not really happy with the current one.
Being that the tank is still in the early stages I may be O.K. if I change things up now rather than later?

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you remember me when I built my tank and you were putting yours together. I am going to have my dad build me a steel stand and paint it orange. I move in 5 months so I am hoping to build a sump out of orange and white plexiglass before I move. Sorry to hear aboit the diatom. If you are unhappy with the aquascape I would change it before you start adding too much stuff. Coral connection in new Orleans has some awesome rocks.

20170729_194537.jpg

20171109_164157.jpg

20170916_065004.jpg

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do remember and admired your build.

That will be an awesome color combination.
Are you also going to go with the colored PVC for your plumbing?

I hate moving with a passion especially the thought of breaking down and re setting a tank back up.. ughh!!.

Where abouts are you moving to?

Oh nooo. I don't need any more rock. I have roughly 300lb I don't know what to do with...lol

I want to check out Coral Connection as well as Aquatic Sea Life in Metairie. From what I hear, they have some awesome livestock and they are a reL pleasure to deal with.

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely going with the orange plumbing to match the stand. That's a lot of rock. Lol. Not sure where I'm moving, still waiting for the Marines to give me new orders. It is probably going to be Illinois or the Pentagon.

Corral connection is good and they have nice rock but aquatic Sealife has the best inventory. Tim, the owner is really good people and fair. There is a younger guy that used to act like a ****** but he has gotten better.

I would definitely recommend aquatic Sealife. They have a big selection and constantly adding equipment and goods to their inventory. If you do go, they will match competitor prices.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. I went with planet aquarium also, a bit different dimensions, but not that different. Mine is 60x30x18. I also went with a steel stand, but had it sandblasted and powdercoated. I was going to paint it, but paint, primer, and labor involved... the local powder coating company quoted me $100 to sand blast and powdercoat... I couldn't have bought the supplies to do it myself for that. I've built a bunch of wooden aquarium stands over the years... I probably won't ever build one again. Steel is easy, cheap, allows for a much more open design, and you _know_ it's going to hold up over the long haul.

Keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely going with the orange plumbing to match the stand. That's a lot of rock. Lol. Not sure where I'm moving, still waiting for the Marines to give me new orders. It is probably going to be Illinois or the Pentagon.

Corral connection is good and they have nice rock but aquatic Sealife has the best inventory. Tim, the owner is really good people and fair. There is a younger guy that used to act like a ****** but he has gotten better.

I would definitely recommend aquatic Sealife. They have a big selection and constantly adding equipment and goods to their inventory. If you do go, they will match competitor prices.

IMHO i think the orange will look clean and unique. Not many people go the orange route.
Thinking of painting my plumbing orange and grey, just to keep with the Apex theme..lol

Good luck on your move. Do you have an idea as to when the move will take place?

My wife asks me all the time, what am I going to do with all the rock..Lol.

I will def give them a look see, hopefully in the near future.
From their Facebook post's Aquatic Sea Life has some awesome SPS colinies ( tank isn't mature enough yet ) and sweet pricing.
Will def keep their price match policy in mind, when I visit them. Thanks.

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. I went with planet aquarium also, a bit different dimensions, but not that different. Mine is 60x30x18. I also went with a steel stand, but had it sandblasted and powdercoated. I was going to paint it, but paint, primer, and labor involved... the local powder coating company quoted me $100 to sand blast and powdercoat... I couldn't have bought the supplies to do it myself for that. I've built a bunch of wooden aquarium stands over the years... I probably won't ever build one again. Steel is easy, cheap, allows for a much more open design, and you _know_ it's going to hold up over the long haul.

Keep the updates coming!

Thanks for the kind words.
Can't beat the PA tanks. Especially for the pricing and their build quality.
I agree, no more wood stands for me.
Steel offers so much more piece of mind and is just as light as a 2x stand.

I'll try to keep on top of the updates but it's hard. Especially when I see all the nice systems, I look at mine with it's new tank uglies and get embarassed..lol

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to keep on top of the updates but it's hard. Especially when I see all the nice systems, I look at mine with it's new tank uglies and get embarassed..lol

Yeah... I get that. My system got wet in August, 6 months old now. I started with the intention of going full Triton, and started having problems just after the bio filter was established. Compounded my error by trying to get back on track without doing water changes... A couple months ago, I finally started doing regular water changes again, and things are finally starting to stabilize. Calurpa filled refugeum, Kalkwasser reactor on my ATO system, 20% bi-weekly water change... back to basics. It's working, some of the few corals I had put in there early on that I had thought were goners are starting to come back.

It's hard to post updates when you're having problems... but... don't feel lonely. If it were easy, really... would any of us want to do this as a hobby? The challenge is half the fun!

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I m moving in June or July. Might be best to replace the plumbing versus painting especially with salt. I hope to find a cheap place to powder coat mine. My brother paid 350 or so in Texas. I would rather pay what you paid. Lol. I can't wait to start building the sump and ATO container to match. I will update when I start. Keep updates on your's too. Do you have pictures of your sump and equipment?

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you like them but when I move I plan on removing the overflow and adding a shadow overflow. Much more room for your rock. You should look into adding one.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called a small local powder coating company, sent 'em the stand design I did for the folks that welded it up for me. I was fully expecting that I'd end up painting it myself... but the price was less that I was expecting. Same with the small fab company I had build my stand... I called the steel supplier in town and asked them who they would pick to do a small fab project. Price was reasonable, and I _knew_ it would be straight and square. I can weld, but I don't have the kind of clamping setup you need to do a job like this right. DIY is great... I do lots of it, but if you can hire it done for the same money, well... I got a price on a steel stand from the tank vendor, too. They wanted more than double what it ended up costing me, and then I'd have had to pay shipping, too. Pays to shop around!

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I m moving in June or July. Might be best to replace the plumbing versus painting especially with salt. I hope to find a cheap place to powder coat mine. My brother paid 350 or so in Texas. I would rather pay what you paid. Lol. I can't wait to start building the sump and ATO container to match. I will update when I start. Keep updates on your's too. Do you have pictures of your sump and equipment?

Not sure if you like them but when I move I plan on removing the overflow and adding a shadow overflow. Much more room for your rock. You should look into adding one.

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On my next upgrade ( if the wife lets me )I will definitely go with the external overflow. I rather not molest this tank by cutting out the internal overflow and siliconing a block off plate. The wife would certainly choot me then..lol

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a whole lot going on. Still dealing with new tank syndrome. After the Dino's subsided a new and more devious plague is taking over...Cyano....Been scrubbing rocks and turned up the pump juice in an effort to hopefully rid the tank.

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Just be patient and hopefully youyour thank gets better. Do you keep your nitrate low? Can't wait to see your tank.

Plata01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you paint your stand and how is it holding up? I want to powder coat mine when I build mine but I don't want to pay the price. Lol

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back