Very fine dust everywhere

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 3 days there has been a huge increase in fine dust suspended in the water column and collecting in the sump. From a distance, it appears cloudy but up close I can see tiny particles which look like the consistency and size of talcum powder. Where it accumulates in the sump it is an extremely fine off-white/tan color. It's really difficult stuff to get a photo of but I'll get a couple shots tonight when I get home.

There was massive ammonia spike about 10 days ago which returned to 0 within 2 days after removing the ammonia source (dead snails) and adding some Biospira. The remaining snails and shrimp have been happy since. This tank is little over a month old and just completed a pretty big diatom bloom which the snails seemed to mow down pretty quick but I did notice that what was left of the diatoms disappeared really quickly coinciding with the dust.

Parameters:
  • 43 gal tank
  • ~ 6 weeks old
  • Calcium - 435
  • Alk - 7.2
  • Mag - >1500
  • Sg - 1.026
  • NO3 - 10
  • Ammonia - 0
  • I cycled this with AF Bio S

Also, I was using a bad batch of salt with super high Mg up until a week ago. I've done 3 water changes with IO to bring down the Mg. It is still high though and I plan on doing a 20% water change this evening.

Wondering if this a bacterial bloom, precipitation, other?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you see more of dust then I think its precipitation but if that dust thing is more stringy biofilm then its bacteria.

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see more of dust then I think its precipitation but if that dust thing is more stringy biofilm then its bacteria.
Definitely dust. What's the best way to clear it up? I'm assuming water changes but not sure.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If its dust and its due to precipitation then you need to figure out the reason behind it. Just water change will solve the issue temporarily.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a massive overdose of something to blame, calcium carbonate does not normally just precipitate throughout the water column, and I expect it is something else.

I think it is more likely to be a bacterial bloom or stirred up detritus. Neither is a problem aside from aesthetics.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms leave behind skeletons, it could explain their disappearance with the fine dust. A cloud of their skeletons would look very similar to what you are describing. So it may make some sense. They bloomed with your ammonia, consumed the silica resources available, then the population crashed and died just as suddenly as it exploded.

Diatomaceous earth (comprised of diatom skeltons) would look/behave very similar to what you are describing.

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms leave behind skeletons, it could explain their disappearance with the fine dust. A cloud of their skeletons would look very similar to what you are describing. So it may make some sense. They bloomed with your ammonia, consumed the silica resources available, then the population crashed and died just as suddenly as it exploded.

Diatomaceous earth (comprised of diatom skeltons) would look/behave very similar to what you are describing.
That's interesting. The timing would make sense for sure.

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered a 100 micron felt filter sock to help deal with this. I'm betting it will clog pretty quickly so I'm prepared to clean it often over the next week or so.

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond a fine filter sock and time, is there any other trick for removing this dust?

It does seem to be accumulating in the bottom of the sump. I have a turkey Baster to suck it up but wondering if there is a more efficient method?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

:rolleyes: ------- :D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back