Very high Calcium reading with Trident

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all my Trident users. I just got my Trident hooked up about 3 days ago. I was quit shocked when I saw the readings. My Calcium has read over 700 since installing. I have manual test kit coming to verify these numbers. Did anyone have issues with the numbers being high when first installing the Trident? My Alk is close to what my Hanna checker reads. I have very little coral in my tank since its only about 3 months old. I use Reef Crystals like I have on all my other tanks. I am going to give it a couple more days then run the Calibration on the Trident but most said the numbers didnt change drastically after calibration.

Assuming this is correct what options do I have for lowering my Calcium levels since I dont have much coral to consume naturally? Lots of water changes? Obviously need to make sure my salt is not the culprit but I doubt its that high. Any other thoughts on why my calcium could be so high?

trident results.PNG

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are on the right track on finding out what the problem is my trident was not off by much at all before calibrating I’m thinking it’s your salt at the moment but I would test and calibrate like stated then report back. Best of luck.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my numbers didn't change drastically when i calibrated. i'd do some manual testing and compare those results with what trident is reporting. if you have a big difference in height between the trident and the end of the pickup tube, it can create a lot of head that it has to overcome, this is the reason for the calibration feature. but the difference still shouldn't be drastic.
if you trust your test kits and your accuracy testing you can plug those numbers into the trident for calibration. and leave the pickup tube in your tank water instead of the calibration solution.

Rogueaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are on the right track on finding out what the problem is my trident was not off by much at all before calibrating I’m thinking it’s your salt at the moment but I would test and calibrate like stated then report back. Best of luck.

I would tend to agree

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my Trident is the best part of my Apex system and has always been accurate (FOR ME)

Yes I would compare but you could have even more issues and questions as to what test is right. if your next kit were give you a value of 300 or something.

With manual test kits do yourself a favor.
They take a bit of practice to master, so do the test at least three times and see if you can get repeatable results each time. Then compare with the trident.

I also had high CA and it did come down with time, I am sure there is a bad something or another with it that high, that can happen. However I just let it drop on its own.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a known issue with the trident, normally it happens when the reagent gets low and the needle comes up and starts getting a little bit of air

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I did a massive water change. Used new salt and the calcium jumped up another 100 points. Decided to calibrate. Ran a test after calibration and the numbers dropped around 300 points. Much closer to the test kit. I am still waiting on a new kit but at least the numbers are getting better.

After water change but before calibration
Screenshot_20200821-160439.jpg

After calibration
Screenshot_20200821-214047.jpg

Not really sure how much to trust this thing yet.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks much better, when I started my Trident the results were similar to the manual tests I was using but there was some discrepancy. .3 difference on alk about 50 on calcium and 100 on magnesium (roughly) calabrating brought it a bit closer but at this point I honestly just work at keeping the numbers in the same range anyway not really chasing a specific number. The results your getting now seem at least normal I'd keep an eye for a bit l and if the numbers seem level and logical use them. You could always run extra tests on the calabration fluid to see how close you get if your concerned. I would personally trust the trident over the manual tests assuming that it's all set up correct and you checked the lines for air, kinks, etc.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am a lot happier with these results. If they stay stable that will probably be good enough for me. I agree I'm not chasing a specific number but being off 300 points was unacceptable. I just want to know I can't trust it before I start stocking my tank.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear: You're complaining about the results you got without calibrating, and yet are OK with the results you got after calibrating?

Yes my initial concern and question was about my precalibration results. Other forums I read and even Neptune said calibration shouldn't change the results drastically since it's pre calibrated and my height difference is minimal. So that's why I asked to see if others seen similar.

Now that I have calibrated (less than 24hrs ago) the numbers look better but I feel like they are still off. But if they hold steady and dont change alot over the next week or two, especially after I do another water change, then I will just adjust my expectations. The thing that sucks is when I come to reef 2 reef with a problem and give my params because that's the first thing we all ask for, how close to the communities "expected" params will I be? Off by 50 pts or so is probably not going to be a huge deal in most cases as long as it stays consistent. But it would be nice to know that a $600 water tester is more accurate and reliable than my $30 manual test kit.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear: You're complaining about the results you got without calibrating, and yet are OK with the results you got after calibrating?

I was thinking the same think. The way to look at the automation is a multi-prong process really. I think the reagent is obviously critical. So any issues there and the numbers are what you get. It's to the user to believe them; but run some type of verification against other test. If the unit is bouncing around with readings between each test showing massive +/- then never trust it.

Also in the current state of your system water changes would likely suffice (unless you're not doing any water changes). If not, then something simple like kalk would even work.

Starting out slow and getting some understanding of your aquarium usage will help when implementing automation. You would know when a dosage would nuke your system base upon that knowledge you gained from the less automated approach.

100% believe in automation, but not everything 100% automated.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my initial concern and question was about my precalibration results. Other forums I read and even Neptune said calibration shouldn't change the results drastically since it's pre calibrated and my height difference is minimal. So that's why I asked to see if others seen similar.

Now that I have calibrated (less than 24hrs ago) the numbers look better but I feel like they are still off. But if they hold steady and dont change alot over the next week or two, especially after I do another water change, then I will just adjust my expectations. The thing that sucks is when I come to reef 2 reef with a problem and give my params because that's the first thing we all ask for, how close to the communities "expected" params will I be? Off by 50 pts or so is probably not going to be a huge deal in most cases as long as it stays consistent. But it would be nice to know that a $600 water tester is more accurate and reliable than my $30 manual test kit.

For parameters you have to decide what you want to maintain and try to stay in a range for those parameters that you want to measure. NSW parameters you can find here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

The coral will acclimate to stability in your system. Depending on the type of coral, lighting, and other factors will determine your consumption. Other factors like how long the tank has been running will play a part as well.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For parameters you have to decide what you want to maintain and try to stay in a range for those parameters that you want to measure. NSW parameters you can find here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

The coral will acclimate to stability in your system. Depending on the type of coral, lighting, and other factors will determine your consumption. Other factors like how long the tank has been running will play a part as well.

I totally understand parameters and stability and the value of not chasing numbers. But in order to maintain stability you have to have stable testing tools (right now this particular Trident is questionable in my opinion) I have had success over my 7 year reefing career manually testing but this 180g I just built is going to be my true show piece of the house and all my past experiences. I travel a lot and don't want my wife to have to worry as much as she did in the past. So the trident is supposed to be a way I can see what's going on when I am gone and the frequency of testing with auto dosing and water changes is supposed to help me keep stability ongoing.

Trusting all this new and expensive gear is tough after so long of manual testing, water changes and just looking at my tank go through it's highs and lows. I just want it dialed in and working as it should before my tank matures enough to start with the expensive corals.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone's feedback. It's an interesting transition to automation and I just want to learn from others since it's been around for a while just new to me and my budget.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it would be nice to know that a $600 water tester is more accurate and reliable than my $30 manual test kit.

$600 buys me 30 Salifert calcium kits. The Salifert kits have never been known for precision, but they get me close enough, are precise enough to show dosing trends, and, uh, don't have to be calibrated.

You would need a massive calcium uptake, aka major SPS growth to even get me to look at automated calcium monitoring.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$600 buys me 30 Salifert calcium kits. The Salifert kits have never been known for precision, but they get me close enough, are precise enough to show dosing trends, and, uh, don't have to be calibrated.

You would need a massive calcium uptake, aka major SPS growth to even get me to look at automated calcium monitoring.

I'm with you on this. The trident is 100% a cool toy right now. I will take advantage of its capabiy at some point. I am trying to buy for the future of this tank. I don't want to experiment with an established tank later and I had some extra cash I wanted to blow on myself.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trident only reads Ca correctly right after changing the reagent. It slowly climbs for whatever reason after a few days. Definitely not associated with the line sucking air since the bottle is still close to full. I always check unsure numbers with manual testing. Fortunately the important one (ALK) is always spot on.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trident only reads Ca correctly right after changing the reagent. It slowly climbs for whatever reason after a few days. Definitely not associated with the line sucking air since the bottle is still close to full. I always check unsure numbers with manual testing. Fortunately the important one (ALK) is always spot on.

Thank you that's very helpful

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup my trident about one month ago and I am also getting really high CA readin….549. when I use the Red Sea Pro CA test kit, I consistently get 415 - have tested multiple times. Furthermore the 549 number has never changed over the last month and I have tested Ailey. I’m using a new CA regent so there is no issue here with it being low and air sucking in, I’ve also calibrated the system. The ALK and MG numbers are spot on - problem is only with the CA. Any suggestions for correcting this problem? Thanks in-advance!

Back