Vibrant Availability?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in giving Vibrant a try and started looking at my top four go-to retailers (BRS, Dr. F&S, PA, Marine Depot), only to find none of them carry it. I was surprised they don't have Vibrant.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Gareth elliott . Yep, found it on both eBay and Amazon. Just surprised the major retailers don't carry this stuff.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't aware of this...and haven't read the mega-post on Vibrant....just too long....but not overly surprised because the dying algae is releasing all those nutrients into your tank. I plan on large water changes during this process, hopefully avoiding any nutrient overload issues. :cool:

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't aware of this...and haven't read the mega-post on Vibrant....just too long....but not overly surprised because the dying algae is releasing all those nutrients into your tank. I plan on large water changes during this process, hopefully avoiding any nutrient overload issues. :cool:

lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of people have reported cyano after use, including me. some had full tank crashes. who knows if that was a direct result of using the product though.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of people have reported cyano after use, including me. some had full tank crashes. who knows if that was a direct result of using the product though.
Care to link some of the threads or observations? I wanted to give it a go as well.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I actually had success with it killing off my bubble algae AND gha. Took about 3/4 of an 8 oz. bottle but it worked well in a 29 gallon tank. At the same time though I was also dosing nopox so it may have been a combination of the two. And end result for me was no cyano, no invert or coral loss.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant has been amazing on my 180 tang reef tank. No algae or unsightly crap. Using it a couple months and within one week I went from cleaning my glass 4x per week to once, or less.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a lot of algae just keep up with your water changes and you will be fine, it works for sure but you need to help remove the excess nutrients all that algae is going to release

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to link some of the threads or observations? I wanted to give it a go as well.

i tried to use it for hair algae and red turf algae. did nothing but cause cyano. it was easier to nuke the rock since it was a nano tank.

just a few...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cyano-after-vibrant.376070/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/at-a-stalemate-with-cyano-po4.413344/#post-4866542

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/yet-another-cyano-battle.402003/#post-4800305

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cyano-after-vibrant.282485/

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had success with it killing off my bubble algae AND gha. Took about 3/4 of an 8 oz. bottle but it worked well in a 29 gallon tank. At the same time though I was also dosing nopox so it may have been a combination of the two. And end result for me was no cyano, no invert or coral loss.

no doubt it can work. but be prepared for lots of water changes to remove nutrients.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will add that i used the rest of the bottle at maintenance level and it did keep my glass clean!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got cyano after using, but my nitrate bottomed out while using in conjunction with biopellets. Had no algae for about a month then bam dinos. This was my doing not the vibrant though.

Worked great on my bubble algae. Anecdotally dont use while using carbon dosing [emoji23].

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a lot of algae just keep up with your water changes and you will be fine, it works for sure but you need to help remove the excess nutrients all that algae is going to release

Wouldn't that just be the same thing as doing regular water changes for nutrient export?

Thank you!!

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't that just be the same thing as doing regular water changes for nutrient export?

i believe the theory is that the dead algae will release a huge amount of nutrients which need to be aggressively removed. not sure though.

i have always had a theory that cyano outbreaks are caused by a drastic imbalance of no3 and po4. this was a non-scientific conclusion i came up with many years ago while using nopox.

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank m

Thank you!!

Water changes are great for nutrient export but in my experience if you have a lot of algae water changes help keep it under control but wont eradicate it.
Vibrant will kill it but you need to help remove the excess nutrients that the algae is going to leave behind when it dies

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back