Vibrant Killing Corals..

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lot of coraline die off as well. I did 3 ICP tests during the vibrant dosing and I can tell you that even though I was dosing the Red Sea trace elements program based off calc demand, my results showed undetectable amounts of iodine and iron. Potassium was very low as well. I did stop dosing the vibrant and dosed a lot more iodine, iron, and potassium to get the levels to the recommend parameters. I didn’t lose a coral after that. Iodine for sure helps no matter what. I think a lot of the coral meds and in tank treatments contain a fair amount of iodine. But I could be wrong.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

i used this thread just now to discourage someone from adding vibrant to a eutrophic tank in need of cleaning, not a twenty dollar guess on outcome. Great thread.

vibrant is a good product but it has a high loss rate. I cannot find eight pages of coral kills for any other algae doser, so my recommend is quit adding it to full mass invasion reefs in order to circulate rot chemicals indefinitely, clean the offending mass first, clean the sandbed, then you can use much less vibrant as a growback preventer not as a mass remover, which is where eight pages of kills occurs.

Vibrant is the best valonia control ive ever seen. our issue in the thread referenced above was chrysophytes, not valonia, needs manual cleaning first.

Last edited:

erophames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost numerous zoa colonies due to vibrant, I will never touch that garbage again.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the thread builds documentation momentum its important to state a direct change in approach that will help reduce the risk of loss

use vibrant in the uninvaded condition, not the invaded one as everyone uses it. That causes mass dieoff, souping in-tank via breakdown.

having a zero mass/totally clean tank before you apply vibrant means 1/4 dose works on .01% original mass, less die off, no souping, and for once we caused a clean condition vs hoped a retail purchase would cause it...a double benefit.

if the vibrant works as growback prevention, that's awesome. its less likely to harm in this way as is any doser including peroxide, fluconazole or chemi clean.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We wouldn't dose vibrant to this tank
imageproxy.jpeg.jpg

We would effect the clean condition, then dose it, and kill less animals per 100 jobs
imageproxy.jpeg-1.jpg

We would apply vibrant as a growback preventer not a mass remover. Earn the clean condition the same way they remake a bad garden on hgtv. Takes about a day.
Then your retail reliance is less, a $20 doser doesn't determine the tanks invasion status

Credit reefmiser nano reef.com

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@brandon429 having a "zero mass/totally clean tank" is this even possible? When I dosed this stuff which I have no problems with it at all it did what it said which was to get rid of algae. The only thing that was in my tank was some phosphate and nitrate. I did not have anything else in my tank. I am a stickler for following the directions of the manufacturer because when you follow THIER directions, you can hold them to certain accountability. Here is the problem I dosed half the amount because I had heard the warnings. The problem is not dosing the correct amount you will end up dosing for a longer period to get the result. My result was algae gone and lost a few coral. It's all good. I am glad my algae is gone. I also lowered nitrate and phosphate in the process from p04 being 1.0 to 0.5 and nitrate from 25 to 10.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We wouldn't dose vibrant to this tank
imageproxy.jpeg.jpg

We would effect the clean condition, then dose it, and kill less animals per 100 jobs
imageproxy.jpeg-1.jpg

We would apply vibrant as a growback preventer not a mass remover. Earn the clean condition the same way they remake a bad garden on hgtv. Takes about a day.

Credit reefmiser nano reef.com
if vibrant has the claim of removing algae why not dose it to that tank? If this is really the case then the makers should say you would have a better success rate with a small amount of algae as opposed to just saying it can remove agae.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's how web nerds who fix eutrophic reefs and log no kills changed up the rules, its nothing formal.

they have such a high safety rate the product isn't dangerous. this whole thread is the 5% ers. but they're 100% preventable losses.

nobody says we have to dose vibrant to a full reef, that's buyers mode.

we can dose a 5 gallon test bucket with rocks in it, to the side, and check for susceptibility. clean the main tank, then use a partial dose to fight miniscule resurgent growth...so many variations other than just dumping in, buyers mode and hope.

Vibrant has for sure saved ten times more valonia systems from willing breakdown, end vs any tanks its killed by following the directions, it is the best valonia killing substance work threads have seen, nothing beats it, but there are risks we see here.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I started dosing I knew the would be a chance of coral loss. I was ok with it. I was more on the side lets get rid of the algae. I also knew I was not going to remove algae by hand as some will recommend. I love my tank but med school, family, screw that. I don't mind taking vibrant at face value. My thing is whenever you use anything in a tank chemical related there is a chance of a negative result. There is no science that can prove otherwise.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to stay away from these magic potion threads because no matter what I say most people would rather take the Blue Pill and avoid the hard work ahead rather than put in the time and work needed to fix the actual problem.

Maybe this video will help one or two people.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have tried to stay away from these magic potion threads because no matter what I say most people would rather take the Blue Pill and avoid the hard work ahead rather than put in the time and work needed to fix the actual problem.

Maybe this video will help one or two people.

I am not sure about others, but I know for a fact I can and have put the time in but there are also times where I need to take the easier route out because time does not allow. There is no such thing as a magic pill to make reef issues disappear. additives like vibrant, chemiclean, etc they help those of us get rid of some of the negative in our tank and keep it gone as long as we address the underlying cause. I know what mine was, phosphate and nitrate were high. I would like to think I won the battle however I lost a few corals along the way. I love the stuff personally. Vibrant did what it said it would do.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about others, but I know for a fact I can and have put the time in but there are also times where I need to take the easier route out because time does not allow. There is no such thing as a magic pill to make reef issues disappear. additives like vibrant, chemiclean, etc they help those of us get rid of some of the negative in our tank and keep it gone as long as we address the underlying cause. I know what mine was, phosphate and nitrate were high. I would like to think I won the battle however I lost a few corals along the way. I love the stuff personally. Vibrant did what it said it would do.
Yes and now your Tank has tons of unknown Bacteria living on the rocks and in the water column and they are going to be there forever.

If your lucky and get all your reefing dreams fulfilled, things like your SPS corals are growing like crazy. It is only then you will find that these Bacteria will come back to haunt you as your trying to keep up your levels NO3 and PO4 and are wondering why it's all going so badly.

Also they will most likely be the reason why certain corals can just never survive in your tank, because they just cannot live with that bacteria in the water! Years down the road when you have forgotten how you got rid of that Alga problem you will be scratching your head wondering why certain corals just keep on dying.

Why do you think that almost none of the expert reef keepers use these kinds of chemicals? There is Just way to many long term issues that will plague you later on.

Anyway as I said I stay away from this subject if I can. I know that once you have taken the Blue Pill your committed to that path.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes and now your Tank has tons of unknown Bacteria living on the rocks and in the water column and they are going to be there forever.

If your lucky and get all your reefing dreams fulfilled, things like your SPS corals are growing like crazy. It is only then you will find that these Bacteria will come back to haunt you as your trying to keep up your levels NO3 and PO4 and are wondering why it's all going so badly.

Also they will most likely be the reason why certain corals can just never survive in your tank, because they just cannot live with that bacteria in the water! Years down the road when you have forgotten how you got rid of that Alga problem you will be scratching your head wondering why certain corals just keep on dying.

Why do you think that almost none of the expert reef keepers use these kinds of chemicals? There is Just way to many long term issues that will plague you later on.

Anyway as I said I stay away from this subject if I can. I know that once you have taken the Blue Pill your committed to that path.
Dude unless you can provide me with empirical data you can miss me with the above statements. I am a man of science and the proof is in the data. I have seen way too many thriving tanks that have used vibrant. I refuse to be scared of it or the bacteria that comes along with it. as long as we live on this planet there are going to be both good and bad bacteria. Me personally my tank needs a balance of them both. There is always a balance needed. I tried to have a tank that was sterile and I saw what it got me.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude unless you can provide me with empirical data you can miss me with the above statements. I am a man of science and the proof is in the data. I have seen way too many thriving tanks that have used vibrant. I refuse to be scared of it or the bacteria that comes along with it. as long as we live on this planet there are going to be both good and bad bacteria. Me personally my tank needs a balance of them both. There is always a balance needed. I tried to have a tank that was sterile and I saw what it got me.
I dosed vibrant - lost 50 percent of my corals (in my freshwater tank). In my discus tank (200 gallons) I had some hair algae on some wood - I dosed vibrant - the next AM each fish was breathing at the top of the water - and 2 of the fish had jumped out of the tank (assumedly to get away from any toxins (which I assume was ammonia) - I dosed it per instructions. Now - it worked great on the algae. (I didnt have other plants in the tank). I adjusted the lighting in the tank - and now have no algae and no need for vibrant.

Second - I do not believe, necessarily that the vibrant bacteria 'stays' in the tank (thus the need for maintenance dosing. IMHO - as @robbyg says - if you're seeing your tank properly - you shouldn't need vibrant. By the way - that is science - since no one knows what exactly is in 'vibrant', ie, bacteria. So - its all empiric IMHO

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. I used 1ml in 30 gal tank with 10gal sump and it killed all montiporia red cap in 4 hours. Bleached totally. This was a test tank with sand bottom. The was nothing in there. I didn’t bother testing and took the tank down and never used vibrant again. This was a test to see if it might help a Dino outbreak in the main tank. This was two years back. Btw just did the recommended nutrient elevation and dinos are in my rear view mirror. So I wonder since this kills algae if it also can enter a coral and kill off the zoa living in the coral hence. Sudden bleaching. Some coral have a better slime layer than others and might be able to exclude the vibrant bacteria. Mabye others can not do this or are less healthy and have Thinner layer. Just a theory.

another thought is there are dinos present that when they die they release endotoxins. That’s a real stretch but another possibility. I tried to measure this using raman sers de sorbet sample from carbon and saw nothing. Was looking for coolia toxin at the time. Definitely found it in the main tank sample.

I have been dosing Vibrant once per week since early January and some monti caps burned completely and others partially.

I monitor KH and noticed that any tiny bump in KH caused it.

So, I let KH fall about 1 dKH and I don't let it rise and the remaining montis are ok.

It's definitely not an issue with low nutrients, they have been steadily rising.

I'm trying to get rid of valonia, but I won't go near this product again.

20210307_123306.jpg

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

i used this thread just now to discourage someone from adding vibrant to a eutrophic tank in need of cleaning, not a twenty dollar guess on outcome. Great thread.

vibrant is a good product but it has a high loss rate. I cannot find eight pages of coral kills for any other algae doser, so my recommend is quit adding it to full mass invasion reefs in order to circulate rot chemicals indefinitely, clean the offending mass first, clean the sandbed, then you can use much less vibrant as a growback preventer not as a mass remover, which is where eight pages of kills occurs.

Vibrant is the best valonia control ive ever seen. our issue in the thread referenced above was chrysophytes, not valonia, needs manual cleaning first.
For me back when I used it I did not lose too much in the way of coral but for valonia it was just that, control, not elimination and it ends up coming back eventually. Not worth the risk now for me when it did not completely eliminate the issue.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question does everyone know there are 3 different vibrant? I see on line people are selling vibrant but not saying if it is vibrant for fresh water or vibrant for fish only vibrant or vibrant for reef tanks. I use for reef tanks and never lost a coral.

Attachments

• 20191217_205631.jpg
    20191217_205631.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20201206_162321.jpg
    20201206_162321.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20201023_173129.jpg
    20201023_173129.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200905_175502.jpg
    20200905_175502.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 33

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a question does everyone know there are 3 different vibrant? I see on line people are selling vibrant but not saying if it is vibrant for fresh water or vibrant for fish only vibrant or vibrant for reef tanks. I use for reef tanks and never lost a coral.
Yes - thats a good point. I used Vibrant for reef tanks - and had a 'die back' of several corals. Many of which eventually came back (after months)

RyanS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lot of coraline die off as well. I did 3 ICP tests during the vibrant dosing and I can tell you that even though I was dosing the Red Sea trace elements program based off calc demand, my results showed undetectable amounts of iodine and iron. Potassium was very low as well. I did stop dosing the vibrant and dosed a lot more iodine, iron, and potassium to get the levels to the recommend parameters. I didn’t lose a coral after that. Iodine for sure helps no matter what. I think a lot of the coral meds and in tank treatments contain a fair amount of iodine. But I could be wrong.
So, did you find out if Vibrant was really the thing that took down your iodine/iron/potassium?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back