Vibration dampening

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I am currently setting up my basement sump for my reef tank. Today I leak tested the manifold and made sure the pump was running correctly. Everything is great except the sump is vibrating which is causing a lot of noise. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I am running a BlueLine 70HD external pump and the sump is a rubbermaid 150 gallon stock tank.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 2 main things to play with here. The first is some sort of dampening base for the pump. Silicone hot pads are a popular choice. Second is a section of soft plumbing both before and after the pump. Silicone tube is a popular choice for smaller pumps, but sourcing larger diameters can be a challenge. You might consider spaflex.

I recently read that Blueline is out of the aquarium pump business due to the parent manufacturer shutting down their pump operation. I decided to snag an extra impeller and o-rings for mine. I figure those are reasonable insurance for a bulletproof pump.

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 2 main things to play with here. The first is some sort of dampening base for the pump. Silicone hot pads are a popular choice. Second is a section of soft plumbing both before and after the pump. Silicone tube is a popular choice for smaller pumps, but sourcing larger diameters can be a challenge. You might consider spaflex.

I recently read that Blueline is out of the aquarium pump business due to the parent manufacturer shutting down their pump operation. I decided to snag an extra impeller and o-rings for mine. I figure those are reasonable insurance for a bulletproof pump.

Yeah, I am using flex pvc before the intake and right after the output and have a silicone dish drying pad right under the pump

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above. Silicone dish pads by Oxo have been great for me. You can buy a pretty big pad and cut it to fit your liking.

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also buy sheets of rubber, thicker than silicone, at hardware stores. The pump may also need to be fastened down, through the pad, to a solid and immobile surface. This can help deaden certain frequencies.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see this post for the answer

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, so I'm going to bookmark that tube now. I'm currently in a Rubbermaid stock tank, but that'll be perfect for when I start setting up my display.

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you think the one inch silicone tubing from BRS will get the job done?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the one inch silicone tubing from BRS will get the job done?

It'll let some water through, but they recommend upsizing your piping size for optimal flow. You certainly don't want to downsize on the intake side of the pump.

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll let some water through, but they recommend upsizing your piping size for optimal flow. You certainly don't want to downsize on the intake side of the pump.
So then what size would you recommend and how would I connect it cause they are male threaded 1" adapters on the pump

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then what size would you recommend and how would I connect it cause they are male threaded 1" adapters on the pump
I used a thread x slip coupling to a few inches of 1” pvc to a 1”-2” reducer. For this tubing, I’d install a barb on the end with a clamp over the silicone tube.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back