VIDEO: Richard Ross, an Apex, and Coral Sex in Captivity

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is some great stuff! Awesome job Richard and thanks for the video @Terence!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very curious about the different phased of waves in oceans throughout the day that Richard has mentioned. Anyone knows where I can read about this more? I would love to recreate this with wave makers.

JVU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video and info! Very interesting. Thanks Terrance, Rich, and crew for taking the time to make and produce the video. And thank you Neptune for supporting research.

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow did he say the larvae swim around? We're talking about acros swimming?
I wouldnt of believed it unless I seen it

U

User1

View Badges
I am very curious about the different phased of waves in oceans throughout the day that Richard has mentioned. Anyone knows where I can read about this more? I would love to recreate this with wave makers.

Just do some basic searches with your favorite search engine. Something like reef tide effects or something similar to get awy from the fishing high and low tide tables. Basically you know you have a high and low tide. Then there are things like the moon phases and its impact. Anyway it is pretty nerdy stuff but I've been doing something similar with my Reef Angel controller and again recently with the controller of the Gyres. Every 6 hours I have it set to alternate between A and B channels with random flow on the active side, the other is off. Evening is a bit lower percent wise but at least I get a left, right side (in or out tide thing) going on. Maxspects Gyre controller is somewhat limited in a sliding 6 hour window + or - a couple hours to shift or swap so I don't have similar patters (Reef Angle is simple to do).

It is a great video actually. I personally would like to see more of how they are using the Apex with custom programming. This is the one weakness I see in the Apex compared to say my Reef Angel. With the RA there are custom libraries that have tidal functions that are pretty slick. Mix that in with sunrise and sunset and geo locations you can do some pretty amazing things. Apex, while there is some advanced code features there are no libraries (at least that I'm aware of) that support this feature set or customization. That is what Mr. Ross is trying to do but imagine how much easier it would be if you could control a light schedule based on geo locations or wave patterns based on existing high and low tide tables.

Anyway not bashing Apex, I own one, but would like to see more of how they are using it here. I'm only a hour and a half away from the place and haven't been there in many years. I'll be going back for sure after seeing this - not that I'd get the same tour but just to check out how it looks and support it.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do some basic searches with your favorite search engine. Something like reef tide effects or something similar to get awy from the fishing high and low tide tables. Basically you know you have a high and low tide. Then there are things like the moon phases and its impact. Anyway it is pretty nerdy stuff but I've been doing something similar with my Reef Angel controller and again recently with the controller of the Gyres. Every 6 hours I have it set to alternate between A and B channels with random flow on the active side, the other is off. Evening is a bit lower percent wise but at least I get a left, right side (in or out tide thing) going on. Maxspects Gyre controller is somewhat limited in a sliding 6 hour window + or - a couple hours to shift or swap so I don't have similar patters (Reef Angle is simple to do).

It is a great video actually. I personally would like to see more of how they are using the Apex with custom programming. This is the one weakness I see in the Apex compared to say my Reef Angel. With the RA there are custom libraries that have tidal functions that are pretty slick. Mix that in with sunrise and sunset and geo locations you can do some pretty amazing things. Apex, while there is some advanced code features there are no libraries (at least that I'm aware of) that support this feature set or customization. That is what Mr. Ross is trying to do but imagine how much easier it would be if you could control a light schedule based on geo locations or wave patterns based on existing high and low tide tables.

Anyway not bashing Apex, I own one, but would like to see more of how they are using it here. I'm only a hour and a half away from the place and haven't been there in many years. I'll be going back for sure after seeing this - not that I'd get the same tour but just to check out how it looks and support it.
I am not too keen on how its programmed, but more on how the ocean tidal cycle works, and how we can map that to speed level of power head of a given specification. Like if I have a 75G tank with two 500GPH power head, how much % would that correspond to etc. The programming part is something I think I can do by myself

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's incredible - i had no idea corals could spawn, really fascinating stuff.

Also, is there a way to share the pump schedules so we can also mimic tides and currents in our own reefs?

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a topic I started a discussion on almost four years ago.
Here's a link to that thread on R2R... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mimicking-tidal-flow-in-our-reef-tanks.200646/

These are topics that I wish I had more [any] time available to fully look into the affects and implementation of these ideas on reef systems, but I'm just a hobbyist trying to learn as much as I can about such an incredible ecosystem.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the water Temperature they are running interesting

Me too. I know that I will get better growth but at the same time other stuff grows faster too. Stuff I may not want. And then the margin of error is very small. That said, I have been creeping my reef up from 76 to eventually have it at 79.5.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really fascinating. The short time it took from setup to spawning is remarkable.

I'd also like to hear more about the specifics of the different system settings. How the lights, temperature and flow are synched up.

Really amazing work.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. I know that I will get better growth but at the same time other stuff grows faster too. Stuff I may not want. And then the margin of error is very small. That said, I have been creeping my reef up from 76 to eventually have it at 79.5.

Yeah, very interesting, my tank goes between 80-82 so I guess I'm at a good spot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back