VIDEO: Yellow Tang Breeding success talk with Rising Tide!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this episode R2R TV we talk to Erin and Emma of the Rising Tide yellow tang breeding program.
This is an exciting first in marine breeding of fish. An we want to thank Rising Tide and the Oceanic Institute of Hawai‘i Pacific University. For giving us an insiders view of the breeding of the yellow tang.
The Oceanic Institute of Hawai‘i Pacific University has set up a gofundme page at:
https://www.gofundme.com/OIconservation
Please donate to this cause.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been waiting for this one Ed! Thanks for getting it out so quickly :D Wonderfully done and some very good info! I may be flipping my purple tang over to see if he's a she

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ed....great job. I am hopeful that tank-raised yellows will become the norm within a couple years.

My extremely brief summary of what I think I heard.....breeding tank is 4 tons (ca 930 gallons) containing 4 males and 6 females. So the typical homeowner, with current knowledge, will not be able to tank raise yellows....it will be left to a "breeding" company with large tanks.

Feeding critical in early stages where they are still getting considerable losses. Once mature (turn yellow), they are equally hearty compaired to wild caught.

Again, thanks.....great stuff!

OP
OP
reefwiser

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are still working on the early road block's of getting them from egg sack to live foods. Still a long way to go but want them to finish their paper and get that info out there. In a few years we will start seeing the fruit of this labor. Now we need to have more success in wrasses.:) Other than the harvested egg's currently being done.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah yea! Can't wait to watch it! Great work!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back