Vinegar and live roxk mistake?

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of real reef rock and I just filled up a bucket with ro water and vinegar and proceeded to soak the live rock. Problem is that I don't know if it will rip off the purple colour pained onto it. Will it or im I safe to clean all the nasties off without harming the colou4

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the vinegar will peel the color on it. I'd rinse in rodi and see what happens? If it's gonna bleed off the color, you'd know rather quickly, I'd assume. Honestly, I think your fine. I just soaked a bunch of rock in bleach and was nervous about it, I understand your concern. I just rinsed it real good and then soaked with some prime to be sure.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well problem is im drying it out after and don't want that to affect it either. I'm scared vinegar will create more problems

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re drying them the purple coraline algae will die thus will mostly loose it colors. Technically when drying them, you’re killing all the living things on the rocks, and purple coraline is living things.

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well problem is im drying it out after and don't want that to affect it either. I'm scared vinegar will create more problems
If the rock was painted purple, I doubt you'll have any color loss on that front due to vinegar. Now in regards to any type of algae or bacteria, that will die and decay when taken out of the water. If you had coralline algae then it's going to die as well. You will or should re-culture it with bacteria and begin the process again.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back