Vinegar dosing question

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Vinegar dosing instruction says to cut the dosing ml in half once the system reaches 0 nitrate. I'm currently @ 40ml / day and it's been keeping my nitrate steady at 7ppm. I stopped increasing as I don't want the nitrate to reach 0 - do I keep it at 40ml / day or do I cut it in half?

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the current dosage is keeping no3 at 7ppm steady? Was confused if cutting it in half now before reaching 0ppm will spike no3 back up.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on rate it's dropping. You want to gradually taper off to the level you want. Above 0 but less than whatever...3-5 ppm. Some run higher.

I would do 30 ml for a week, then 25 ml for a week and slide in to your number. Cutting it too much, too close to 0 will cause problems. 0 ppm nitrates may lead to dino or other algae, and may burn your sps if running high alk. Also if not gradual you'll bounce up and down trying to catch the right level. Good luck!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Vinegar dosing instruction says to cut the dosing ml in half once the system reaches 0 nitrate. I'm currently @ 40ml / day and it's been keeping my nitrate steady at 7ppm. I stopped increasing as I don't want the nitrate to reach 0 - do I keep it at 40ml / day or do I cut it in half?

steady at 7 ppm sounds perfect. If that level of vinegar keeps that level of nitrate, then keep dosing that amount of vinegar.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the current dosage is keeping no3 at 7ppm steady? Was confused if cutting it in half now before reaching 0ppm will spike no3 back up.

The cut in half part is just a random recommendation to help folks avoid driving nutrients too low. Don’t take it as a rule. I never did it.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I have yet to cut my dose in half. I have backed it down some in the past but normally find a sweet spot before I have to back it down.

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cut in half part is just a random recommendation to help folks avoid driving nutrients too low. Don’t take it as a rule. I never did it.

Thank you for the clarification. Even though vinegar is keeping nitrate at the desired level, my phosphate has been at 0.00 for the past 3 weeks even after taking ferric oxide reactor off line. Feeding 3 times a day heavily + twice a week coral feeding have not increased phosphate at all. Is it normal for phosphate to zero out when nitrate hasn't reached 0 while vinegar dosing? Should I be considering dosing phosphate instead?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back