Vinegar not lowering nitrates?

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’ve been vinegar dosing according to the protocol made by Randy Holmes Farley and have had no luck. I’m on week 4 and I’ve doubled the dose week 2 dose but my nitrates are still 75+ according to my Hana checker. My PO4 is zero so I’m thinking that might be the problem but wanted to confirm. Do I just need to dose phosphates to bring those up some?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’ve been vinegar dosing according to the protocol made by Randy Holmes Farley and have had no luck. I’m on week 4 and I’ve doubled the dose week 2 dose but my nitrates are still 75+ according to my Hana checker. My PO4 is zero so I’m thinking that might be the problem but wanted to confirm. Do I just need to dose phosphates to bring those up some?

There have been some suggested revisions that dose more. How much to what size tank?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my vinegar dosing chart:

IMG_9011.jpeg

Side note:
If you phosphate is really 0, I would strongly suggest raising it by feeding Reef Roids or dosing sodium phosphate. I prefer dosing sodium phosphate as it’s easier to target a level.

What PO4 kit do you use?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me about 4 months to lower my nitrates from 50ppm to 10ppm through carbon dosing.

Can you share a pic so we can see the system itself?

If your confident your phosphate is zero, I’d bump that up to .1ppm give or take.

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same exact problem before. You absolutely have to add phosphate to the system. I used Neophos and started slow. Once I started getting a reading for phosphate on my Hanna meter, my nitrates started going down. You may have to keep dosing phosphate until your tank reaches a balance

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It for me has been viewed as a slow process and an alternative as with carbon dosing methods

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me about 4 months to lower my nitrates from 50ppm to 10ppm through carbon dosing.

Can you share a pic so we can see the system itself?

If your confident your phosphate is zero, I’d bump that up to .1ppm give or take.
Gotcha! That’s good to know. Yeah I don’t mind sharing, I’ll grab a picture today

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my vinegar dosing chart:

IMG_9011.jpeg

Side note:
If you phosphate is really 0, I would strongly suggest raising it by feeding Reef Roids or dosing sodium phosphate. I prefer dosing sodium phosphate as it’s easier to target a level.

What PO4 kit do you use?
I use the salifert kit

Back