Violent Peppermint Shrimp

jabraha1

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2022
Messages
33
Reaction score
22
Location
Boca, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has any one had issue with peppermints attacking rock flowers?
I figure that like any scavenger it’s sometimes just trying to steal food off the surface of the nem. But I’ve lost five rock flowers in the past few months when they pick so much the nems release their foot and the peppermints then pick at the foot till the rock flowers die.
 
They don’t know the difference between a rockflower and an Aiptasia it seems. They need to go to the sump or into a tank without rockflowers to pick on. I have had rogue Aiptasia eater’s that I had to remove or rehome. It’s a bummer but they like to eat anemone.
 
Has any one had issue with peppermints attacking rock flowers?
I figure that like any scavenger it’s sometimes just trying to steal food off the surface of the nem. But I’ve lost five rock flowers in the past few months when they pick so much the nems release their foot and the peppermints then pick at the foot till the rock flowers die.
My peppermint shrimp bothered my 2 huge beautiful rock flowers and they both died
 
My peppermint shrimp bothered my 2 huge beautiful rock flowers and they both died
I took half the rock out to capture them all. Our LFS took them to save for folks with aiptasia problems.
Kept one that lives in the sump though.
 
I’ve not had peppermint but I stopped keeping shrimp because they bothered my LPS corals. Love shrimp but the corals come first
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new