Viparspectra reef light as a display refugium light?

im_jeremy5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my attempt at a nano reef tank to my fish room and hooked it up to the sump for my 80 gallon reef. It started due to the need to seperate certain fish and anemones from my reef but I got sick of maintaining seperate systems. Now they are joined at the sump, so much easier. Especially since the sump has ATO, doser, controllers, etc. I also had a DIY chaeto reactor that was a PIA. I eliminated it and threw the chaeto in the little tank for now, but eventually I want to get some more aesthetically pleasing plants in there (doing my homework and making sure they don't go sexual).

My main question is I have a viparspectra 165w reef led that I use on that tank. I know it's not the IDEAL spectrum for plants but, will it work? I don't really want the bright red look in a display fuge. Anyone light a fuge with reef lighting and have decent results?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It will work for display and /or sump ( a little much for the sump)

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 of those over a 29 gallon tank. I run the 2 channels at 90 percent 12 hours a day.
i-XJtH3S6-M.jpg

OP
OP
I

im_jeremy5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 of those over a 29 gallon tank. I run the 2 channels at 90 percent 12 hours a day.
i-XJtH3S6-M.jpg

Awesome. Thank you. I also might rip off your mounting solution. I have the 300w version hanging from the ceiling over my main tank. Didn't really want to hang cables from my 10ft ceiling for this little guy.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back