Viparspectra V165 timer issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaltySippi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SaltySippi

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 30, 2025
Messages
38
Reaction score
60
Location
Southern Mississippi, USA
What state or country do you live in
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 3 Viparspectra v165s for my 100g setup. I’m happy with the power and spectrum of the lights, but if the unit loses power for even a few seconds, the clock resets to 12:12 PM. It retains my schedule, but loses the time. It is confounding me. Does anyone have any ideas? I reached out to their customer support as well but thought I’d see if any of you guys have had the same issue. I’ll update when I hear back from Viparspectra.
 
That happens to all the "timers" on my system.....two controllers, three DT lights and a sump light. My issue is that some reset to noon while others reset to midnight. I simply wish they'd all reset to the same time.....I could live with that if it were to happen while on vacation. I can't see what you could do to keep it from resetting. What I've done, since I have six things that need to be reset, is to type up detailed instructions for my tank sitter if we were to lose power.

I'm curious to see if someone knows a solution.
 
I heard back from Viparspectra customer support. This is what they said:

"Please be aware that the time needs to be reset manually after a power outage, this feature cannot be altered. We appreciate your understanding."

I guess this is just something we have to live with....
 
That happens to all the "timers" on my system.....two controllers, three DT lights and a sump light. My issue is that some reset to noon while others reset to midnight. I simply wish they'd all reset to the same time.....I could live with that if it were to happen while on vacation. I can't see what you could do to keep it from resetting. What I've done, since I have six things that need to be reset, is to type up detailed instructions for my tank sitter if we were to lose power.

I'm curious to see if someone knows a solution.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but...

I have six total v165's, 4 of which will keep accurate time through a power outage, 2 of which reset to 12:15 pm even if the power goes out for half a second.

At one point, Viparspectra must have put backup batteries in these units. The question is "when did they stop doing putting the batteries in?" Another question is there a way to tell which units have them without testing?

If anyone has some insight, I'm all ears.
 
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but...

I have six total v165's, 4 of which will keep accurate time through a power outage, 2 of which reset to 12:15 pm even if the power goes out for half a second.

At one point, Viparspectra must have put backup batteries in these units. The question is "when did they stop doing putting the batteries in?" Another question is there a way to tell which units have them without testing?

If anyone has some insight, I'm all ears.
Schedules get saved by battery/capacitor or whatever... not time .
Design "feature" afaict.
Common across many chinese products.
They never put batteries in afaict or ever had one for "time".
Just my guess.

I have a power strip like that as well. Saves program, not time.
 
Schedules get saved by battery/capacitor or whatever... not time .
Design "feature" afaict.
Common across many chinese products.
They never put batteries in afaict or ever had one for "time".
Just my guess.

I have a power strip like that as well. Saves program, not time.
Four of v165's will save the time of day and actually keep it accurately through an outage. The output level and on/off times for Ch1 and Ch2 channels are saved by non-volatile memory by all 6 lights. The other 2 v165's reset the time of day to 12:15 pm after an outage. Two separate behaviors across the "same" lights.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new