Virespectra light fell into tank

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so my virespectra light has fallen into my aquarium i immediately unplugged it and removed it. Originally the lights were off but when it went into the water the lights came on and then I unplugged it. I have completely disassembled it dried it out and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. I put it all back together then plugged it in and the machine came on but no lights. It was sizzling so I unplugged it and took it apart again. My question is is it done for or is there still hope? I have it in a hotbox now to hopefully dry out any last little bit. I do not have money to pay for a new light and I can’t seem to find replacement parts for this brand. How do I save this light!!!!!

zpete3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was sizzling? The leds or the drivers? If it is the driver's you can buy led drivers online. Just match the output of the old drivers

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys so my virespectra light has fallen into my aquarium i immediately unplugged it and removed it. Originally the lights were off but when it went into the water the lights came on and then I unplugged it. I have completely disassembled it dried it out and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. I put it all back together then plugged it in and the machine came on but no lights. It was sizzling so I unplugged it and took it apart again. My question is is it done for or is there still hope? I have it in a hotbox now to hopefully dry out any last little bit. I do not have money to pay for a new light and I can’t seem to find replacement parts for this brand. How do I save this light!!!!!
This is likely toast and not worth plugging in again as there are many openings on the housing which likely allowed lots of water onto the circuitry

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was sizzling? The leds or the drivers? If it is the driver's you can buy led drivers online. Just match the output of the old drivers
It was the circuit board’s and the plug in directly to the light. No smoke or anything just noise.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed it is probably toast. Salt water really ruins circuit boards, especially it it turned on and "sizzled".

At $150 for the light and extensive internal damage, it is unlikely to be worthwhile to repair.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Your electrician does board level repairs on random devices? I'm pretty jealous :face-with-tears-of-joy:.
We have an electrical company here that has fixed lights for me
As for electrician- see if one can look at the inner boards and assess whether it’s salvageable

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1672461195192.gif

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as of this morning after the hotbox last night I throughly cleaned it and wiped it with electronic cleaner and I turned it on the white lights or Chanel two work just fine and one fan works but Chanel two aka the blue lights will not turn on. So is that a circuit problem or the led panel problem?

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to contact viparspectra is thru their social media. Good luck!
P.s. do not google the address, it’s pretty sketchy. Just some random house

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I assume it’s spelled ViparSpectra not virespectra? You could also contact Amazon if that’s who you bought it from. https://www.viparspectra.com/pages/contact-us
Amazon, BRS, no one will cover a component that has hit the water known as user error but happy to sell a new one.
I had many customer contact manufacturers with similar issue and it was rejected due to negligence by owner

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as of this morning after the hotbox last night I throughly cleaned it and wiped it with electronic cleaner and I turned it on the white lights or Chanel two work just fine and one fan works but Chanel two aka the blue lights will not turn on. So is that a circuit problem or the led panel problem?

A similar thing happened to mine. It didn't drop in the water, but it stopped keeping time and eventually the lights just flickered instead of staying on. I replaced the circuit board and that fixed it. The board had clearly been corroded over time in the moist salty air.

Email their support and ask for a new circuit board. They're pretty cheap, < $20. If that doesn't work, I'd replace it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
www.reef2reef.com/threads/2x-viparspectra-165w-lights.957291/

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back