Vivid Aquarium: Some advise on how you organize/buy your fish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have accomplished that in a much more constructive way, no? Like a phone call or a private message. I think you're just digging now. Seriously, let this go and have some fun. More explanations and justifications is not going to improve anything here.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, guys, ease up!! There's no need to be doing this bashing. I've never seen this level of it on this forum before and it needs to stop. He's admitted that it's his fault for not checking and only suggested a system to help others out in the future. Regardless, no one should be treated like this, and I hope I don't see it again in the future.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? A civil conversation about personal responsibility is bashing? Rational people can have a rational conversation about something they don't agree on. You should "hope to see [this] again in the future."

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your store, I made the trip from Bakersfield to buy some corals and fish. I made a mistake though and looking back wish you guys could have prevented it. I consider myself an experienced reefer, but I slipped when I bought a purple queen anthia. It looked beautiful in your tank and it was housed with a lot of tangs etc so I thought it was worth the 55 dollars. Then, when I got home I saw these fish were virtually impossible to keep alive. I've tried brine, mysa with no success. This fish will undoubtedly die of starvation in a couple weeks. So, I guess I have two thoughts. You should have certain tanks labeled "Advanced reefing" with explanations of the fish people are buying or at least someone on staff explaining to people what they are getting into. IMO, this fish shouldn't be in any store because of it's almost certain death. I was kind of shocked, with your reputation that you would bring that in for sale to your customers. Obviously when customers spend money on fish that have no chance, it's bad for future business. I can't even get him out of the reef with my trap because food means nothing to him. So I guess, better labeling and better communication from your staff would be helpful. - Billy
Sorry, you're responsible to do the research dont blame it on anyone else except yourself.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Group hug! Seriously though... can we go back to fun stuff again? Here, I'll give you all a topic.

What the heck are these zoas?
dsc_1222-jpg.315372

If you know, go to my ID help thread and answer please :D

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand both ends of the spectrum here. Thats what makes this forum great, as far as those zoas i have no idea[emoji2]

slobound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey imracing68j,

If it's worth anything, I think I've seen that group of purple anthias at Vivid before (far left hand side, bottom tank). I, too, admittedly have bought stuff I probably shouldn't have more than once in this hobby! If you've recently purchased this fish, that group of 5-6 anthias has been in the store for over a month from what I remember. Now I don't know if they've replaced that group but I'm thinking unlikely, they must be eating something or would have withered away by now. I've been lucky enough to get my anthias on flake but try some live brine to entice it to eat. Mine have also gone after cyclopeeze and mysis over time. Surprisingly, they turned their nose to live blackworms. You might have some luck if you can get it to grab food out of the water column. Wish you the best!

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they must be eating something or would have withered away by now

My thoughts exactly. One of the most basic rules when buying fish is to ask the LFS to feed them to ensure they are eating, i'm curious if this was ever done? Think about it in reverse and imagine: if Vivid told you that you didn't look or sound like an experienced enough reefer to buy this fish and wouldn't let you purchase it at all. I'd imagine a similar post, but from a very different perspective... o_O

OP
OP
I

imracin68j

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so everyone gets this; at no point did I ever say it was someone else's fault. I am responsible 100%, it is what it is. What I did say is, maybe bring in the same information provided on the Vivid site, into the store. If that sounds like bashing, then I don't know what to say. I believe they said they had this one for a week. It was housed with some aggressive feeders so it would have to be a somewhat aggressive feeder in that tank.

OP
OP
I

imracin68j

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why "good" stores are run and staffed by knowledgeable people. They are there for you to ask questions. I'd bet Vivid has such people employed there who would have been happy to answer a question if it was asked. Should LFSs interrogate every customer before they allow them to make a purchase?
I asked a couple questions, what do they eat, how long have you had them, are they good tank mates etc. I honestly don't think the staff realized the odds of keeping one of these fish going.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@imracin68j I meant no disrespect. I just think what you're asking is unrealistic. I think most in the hobby would agree before buying anything much respect, care, detail, and research should be performed. Vivid, or any LFS for that matter can't judge the competence or abilities of any given customer and it would be wrong to make a sale based on those facts. With that being said, you still purchased the fish, even after asking the necessary questions. In addition to knowing that all the info was already easily accessible on their site, in which you could have accessed prior to making the purchase, if this is a hard to keep fish; you would have known this prior to making the purchase. It's no different than losing a fish from jumping. Know its a jumper, before it jumps! ;)

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are all guilty of impulse buys at one time or another. A smartphone in your pocket should be your GoTo every time You walk onto a reef shop. I do appreciate when I walk into a shop and they label a fish "expert only" like on Divers Den. I understand the OPs point but realize it's my responsibility to make the decision.
That being said, I think we should move this thread over to Reef Central and all move on to buying over priced Zoas.

OP
OP
I

imracin68j

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a link we can read more about overpriced space cornbread zoas? I would like to read more about coral value. I've never seen anything other than reasonable pricing. lol If there's a thread that's gone viral, let me know.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your point. You didn't know and you fell in love in the color of fish. But one simply rule if you did or didn't do your HW. Always ask to see if it's eating on any fish. That might open question about the fish. Theirs no dumb question. It shouldn't be a lesson learned this way. Your spending money so ask the common question is he eating. By the way you have a nice tank. Vivid will you get PayPal .

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a link we can read more about overpriced space cornbread zoas? I would like to read more about coral value. I've never seen anything other than reasonable pricing. lol If there's a thread that's gone viral, let me know.
They tend to be adhoc discussions when crazy priced corals pop up. Search for "stratospheres" for a more recent one.

srpsycho11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've stopped by Vivid on two occasions while in SoCal. On both occasions I have been extremely impressed with their friendly and knowledgeable customer service. I didn't make a purchase, yet on both occasions they feed the fish I was interested in and offered to ship them due to my long ride home. If I've learned anything in this hobby, no store ever made me buy it but they'll sell it to you every time. Do your research!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back