Vivid Aquarium: Some advise on how you organize/buy your fish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
I

imracin68j

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have good customer service and I understand all the rules to buying fish. I slipped, my fault. VA, does a really nice job online on fish information although there's nothing on the Purple Queen Anthia. I'm a big fan of leaving some fish in the ocean that reefers haven't been able to figure out. Moorish Idols, cleaner fish, ribbon eels, and various other species simply shouldn't be in pet stores based on their dismal success rate. There are exceptions to everything, but as a whole it's a losing proposition. Now that I know, the PQA probably makes its way to that list.

OP
OP
I

imracin68j

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it literally is one of the first fish I've ever seen not bat an eye at anything put it. Brine, Mysa, Bloodworms. I'll keep trying.

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you called them and asked what it was eating? This is the main reason I put my fish in a QT, just to get those reluctant fish to eat, it makes it much easier when they have no competition. Good luck.

OP
OP
I

imracin68j

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm sorry to inform everyone that to my surprise it has passed away. Kind of a weird passing, the colors looked good but it never really took off like a community or healthy fish. Just kind of hung out for a couple days then passed away. Maybe some of it's not eating was due to something else. First fish I've killed in over 3 years. Bummer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

imracin68j

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough, it looked somewhat plump, not starved. I'm not sure it died of starvation, but I'm not a doctor. This was yesterday.
fish_zpstana3hez.jpg

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks almost like it had the onset of ich or velvet with those little spots on it. If it was velvet, that would explain why it died so quick without any other visible signs.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your store, I made the trip from Bakersfield to buy some corals and fish. I made a mistake though and looking back wish you guys could have prevented it. I consider myself an experienced reefer, but I slipped when I bought a purple queen anthia. It looked beautiful in your tank and it was housed with a lot of tangs etc so I thought it was worth the 55 dollars. Then, when I got home I saw these fish were virtually impossible to keep alive. I've tried brine, mysa with no success. This fish will undoubtedly die of starvation in a couple weeks. So, I guess I have two thoughts. You should have certain tanks labeled "Advanced reefing" with explanations of the fish people are buying or at least someone on staff explaining to people what they are getting into. IMO, this fish shouldn't be in any store because of it's almost certain death. I was kind of shocked, with your reputation that you would bring that in for sale to your customers. Obviously when customers spend money on fish that have no chance, it's bad for future business. I can't even get him out of the reef with my trap because food means nothing to him. So I guess, better labeling and better communication from your staff would be helpful. - Billy
It's hard to believe that you would blame the store. Where's your sense of responsibility?

Z-man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Billy,

The way I first read the initial post, I can see why the aggression towards you. After reading the entire thread, I get where you're coming from. Many years ago I worked in a greenhouse/ nursery. Part of my job was putting little tags in each of the pots that gave information about the plant: lighting conditions, moisture conditions, spacing, growth, etc. I see what you're trying to say. If the LFS, in this case Vivid, had little tags on the tanks that is easily showed all the conditions necessary to successfully house the animal, it would be an improvement to the industry.

I have seen this done in some of the major chain retailers, but the inventory can change so quickly, its difficult to keep the correct information on the tank.

I'm envious of your tank. I have not set up my 125 since moving and its crushing me!

OP
OP
I

imracin68j

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone here is saying that I'm blaming the store either isn't reading my posts or trying to make a flame out thread. I don't know how many times I can say this. Giving advice from a customers point of view doesn't mean your company is getting bashed. Geez. I will say that VA, saw the fish and gave me credit. They actually asked if I wanted a refund and I told them to just give me credit.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck with Purple Queen anthius had them over two years, There are a few articles on people who have kept them long term.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, re-reading the first post, I do see a lot of blaming VA. You do admit you made a mistake, but then go on to say that you wish THEY would have prevented it and then go on to blame them for placing it with tangs leading you to believe it eats well and that they should have labels on the tanks and staff to warn you. Then you attack their reputation and say that they should have never stocked this kind of fish in the first place. You do soften your tone in your other posts, but most people don't read all the posts and are reacting to your first post.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back