Vortech issues

dfurbee

Nancy Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roshi,
I think programming my pump for auto shut off is what I am going to do right now, just in case. I have 2, and one is on a power back up.

cpage3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech should respond very soon they have outstanding customer service

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree!

modifyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to get a vortech but I keep reading about problems and with the high price that just shouldn't be. I'm holding off untill I decide between this and the Hydor korillia set. I hope you get your Vortech fixed real soon and be problem free from then on!

OP
OP
roshi719

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard back from them today, they are getting me out some new parts that should resolve the issue. I will keep you all posted.

OP
OP
roshi719

roshi719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got in my replacement parts today, so I will put it together tonight when I get home and see if this fixes the issue. I think it will, beause after seeing a new bearing, I now realize mine was locked up before. Looks like the old one is going in vinegar when I get home so I have a backup.

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with my MP40. I would reconnect and it would run fine for a hour or so and then split apart. I didn't feel the pump was really dirty. But, I ended up giving it a vinegar bath and put it back together and all is well now for over a month. I have now decided to also run a K4 in the tank just in case this happens again while I am on vacation.

I still think the vortechs are a great pump, but after having it seperate, I'm now worried all the time about coming home to find it apart.

OP
OP
roshi719

roshi719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New parts fixed the issue. It is once again running and the corals are happy.

SeaSlug

Hooked On Reef Tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still thinking on taking the plung to buy a Vortech , but I have to say , I'm not happy hearing issue after issue with these power heads . For that kind of money customer service should be top notch , so I'm not going to give them any pats on the back . Don't get me wrong I'm glad there cutomer service is excellent ( for the price of there pumps it should be ) I guess the lesson here is , when I take the plung and buy one , I better clean up my Maxi Jet pumps and mods , just in case . Thanks Roshi for posting the good and the bad . John

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had zero issues with my 2 from ecotech.

OP
OP
roshi719

roshi719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love the pump, and they corrected the issue very quickly for me. I will definitely give them more of my business down the road. There is just no comparison for the amount and spread of flow that you can get out of these pumps.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even tho I don't have any of those pumps a good method I have used to keep power heads out of the sand bed is to wire tie the cord or velcro it to the stand or another convient place so that the cord will only let the unit fall an inch farther into the tank
That won't stop the flow from blowing up the sand bed but keeps the pump itself out of the sand

JR,

OP
OP
roshi719

roshi719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even tho I don't have any of those pumps a good method I have used to keep power heads out of the sand bed is to wire tie the cord or velcro it to the stand or another convient place so that the cord will only let the unit fall an inch farther into the tank
That won't stop the flow from blowing up the sand bed but keeps the pump itself out of the sand

JR,
That is a very good safeguard for most powerheads, unfortunately the cord for a vortech is on the outside of the aquarium. There is nothing to wire tie to on the wetside assembly.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't blow the sand around once it falls. And the dry side can be programmed to shut off once it separates.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so what I've seen in the area ain't the same brand they have cord going in the tank and are held on with magnets my bad didn't have a clue what I was talking about....Oh well

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve @ ecotech has sent me 3 different things to get mine back up again. (my fault not telling him which white washer I needed)
The type and sincerety of customer service is unmatched in my opinion. I will do business with them again if nothing else but for that.....

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very good safeguard for most powerheads, unfortunately the cord for a vortech is on the outside of the aquarium. There is nothing to wire tie to on the wetside assembly.

Here is a simple fix:

Get some monofilament fishing line. Thread one end in and around one of the wetside intake slits and tie it. Then lead the mono line out and tie to the dryside and tie it where the power cord meets the dryside. The wet and dry sides counterweight each other if one falls.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back