Vortech issues

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I get home from work last night to find the wet side assembly of my vortech laying on the bottom of the tank. The motor half was still running though. I thought they were supposed to stop if they became separated. Anyway I went upstairs and dissasembled the wet side and gave it a thourogh cleaning as the propeller was froze up. It wasn't very dirty as it is only about a month old. I put it back together and tried to synch it back up with the motor. No luck all it would do is vibrate uncontrollably and fly off the glass. I'm kinda freakin out here cuz my Acros aren't gonna last real long without flow. I've already sent an e-mail to the tech support, but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I havent had the freezing up happen yet, I've had mine strip and just spin the shaft and not the prop though.

I think you have to setup the pump disconnect program for it to actually work first.

From first hand experience, my only suggestion is to have a Spare wet side on hand at all times. Especially if its your only pump for flow in the tank.

Chris22582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that sucks. Im sorry to here about your problem. I would be a bit bothered with what they cost to have a problem like that that fast. Im sure they will right it for you fast just hope its not too late.

OP
OP
roshi719

roshi719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what mine is doing. The magnet and the shaft spin, but not he prop.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In that case I called ecotech and they sent me the NEW improved shaft, prop, and a few other parts they updated. should be free of charge, at least both of mine were.

OP
OP
roshi719

roshi719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think I would have all new and improved components as the unit is only a month old, but I will let customer service know.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think I would have all new and improved components as the unit is only a month old, but I will let customer service know.
I was thinking the same thing too... at least I'd like to think the same thing.

However, if a certain supplier bought 200 to sell, and Ecotech "improves" design a month later, I doubt said supplier ships all the VTs back in exchange for the "improved" features... they probably just receive the improved version when they place their next order, and sell the remaining VTs first. Like "leveling" a shelf at a grocery store... sell the old stuff first!

OP
OP
roshi719

roshi719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a display unit straight from ecotech though.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It might not be the same problem then I guess.......

here is a pic of my old parts..

mp40w.jpg

The ceramic shaft that I circled is now shorter than this one in the pic, and the propeller is a bit longer to make up for the shortened ceramic shaft.

If you can inspect the shaft, and it looks to be the same size as my pic, then you have the old parts!!

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I believe my propeller and shaft is all one piece.

I think thats right then.....I confused myself a little. I dont remember exactly what the new one looks like LOL. I thought it might still be 2 pieces, but being only 1 sounds right to me!

Can anyone else shed some light here? I'm still at work, otherwise I would grab my spare wetside and check.

OP
OP
roshi719

roshi719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm supposed to send them pics of my wet side when I get home tonight. Hopefully they will take care of it quick. In the meantime I have one of my old korallias that needs a vinegar bath. I guess I know what I will be doing tonight after work.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep you have to program the auto shut off. If you didn't it won't shut off. It's in the instuction booklet.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back