Vortech L1 internal or external pros/cons

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to run an L1 on my new system and want to run it external because of heat. How many run their return pumps internal vs. external? How many have heat issues because do it? Also how many have had damaged pumps because of it running external?

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. No heat issues on an L1 or M1. I always run my pumps internal for a few reasons... 1) dead silent 2) no leaks to ever worry about 3) convenience. The high end pumps will give you zero trouble if ran internally or externally.

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. No heat issues on an L1 or M1. I always run my pumps internal for a few reasons... 1) dead silent 2) no leaks to ever worry about 3) convenience. The high end pumps will give you zero trouble if ran internally or externally.

My previous setup I used an iwaki external because of heat issues. Never had issues with leaks or heat but I do want the ease of an internal pump. I have seen a few on here where the L1 pumps got hot being run external and seized up. Now that being said, ecotech replaced or fixed even being out of warranty.

I really just don't want to have issues and be forced to change over to external or run a chiller.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those were definitely freak accidents they sometimes happens. I bought a WQD upgrade and it went nuts after only a week would just randomly change modes and turn off haha. I called Ecotech and they had a replacement at the door the next day. They're an amazing company that actually cares about their clients. I'm telling you will be good going internal or external you won't even notice a difference in temp. I know people that run the external and have yet to have an issue running them, I'm just a fan of internal haha

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that's what I want to do is internal. Thanks for the info!

On a side note I still have the algae reactor if your interested I'll get with you soon.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm running an L1 externally and it's been perfect. Runs extremely quiet; my wife bought it as a surprise because the Pan World pump I originally set the tank up with was driving us all crazy. I wouldn't hesitate to run it externally or internally.

-Ed

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running an L1 externally and it's been perfect. Runs extremely quiet; my wife bought it as a surprise because the Pan World pump I originally set the tank up with was driving us all crazy. I wouldn't hesitate to run it externally or internally.

-Ed

Awesome thanks for the input! I know when I ran the external pump it was easy as far as the plumbing and there really was not maintenance involved. I'm truest just worried about the heat issue. I'm I. Florida and summer get hot. I do have a/c set at 77 during the day and 2 fans in the hood Blowing the cool air in.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Awesome thanks for the input! I know when I ran the external pump it was easy as far as the plumbing and there really was not maintenance involved. I'm truest just worried about the heat issue. I'm I. Florida and summer get hot. I do have a/c set at 77 during the day and 2 fans in the hood Blowing the cool air in.

I'm in Florida also. I know what you mean about the heat. That's why I finally ditched the 400w MH's on my main tank. I still like them better than anything else for acro's, but the trade off is worth it for me. I have the L1 running through a 1/2hp chiller and then back into the tank, so it's not like the "water" is going to get hot, but I also don't want associated equipment heat either. The pump itself does not run "hot" at all though.

Thanks,
Ed

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Florida also. I know what you mean about the heat. That's why I finally ditched the 400w MH's on my main tank. I still like them better than anything else for acro's, but the trade off is worth it for me. I have the L1 running through a 1/2hp chiller and then back into the tank, so it's not like the "water" is going to get hot, but I also don't want associated equipment heat either. The pump itself does not run "hot" at all though.

Thanks,
Ed

So touching the pump while it's running external the pump does not feel hot to the touch? May really consider going back internal for the space as well if I can get away with it.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So touching the pump while it's running external the pump does not feel hot to the touch? May really consider going back internal for the space as well if I can get away with it.

I just held my hand on the pump. I would guess it is 100* or what I am perceiving as "warm". I could hold my hand on it indefinitely and it wouldn't be at all uncomfortable. I went to grab my digital temp gun but it's dead and I can't find a 9v. Much cooler than any other pump I've ever run (multiple different Reeflo, Iwakis, pan world, etc.). Since I am running it externally it wouldn't be fair to compare it to an internal pump that is bathed in a cooling medium, but I would not be at all concerned to run it internally. I just prefer the plumbing style with the unions I have.

Hope that helps,
Ed

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just held my hand on the pump. I would guess it is 100* or what I am perceiving as "warm". I could hold my hand on it indefinitely and it wouldn't be at all uncomfortable. I went to grab my digital temp gun but it's dead and I can't find a 9v. Much cooler than any other pump I've ever run (multiple different Reeflo, Iwakis, pan world, etc.). Since I am running it externally it wouldn't be fair to compare it to an internal pump that is bathed in a cooling medium, but I would not be at all concerned to run it internally. I just prefer the plumbing style with the unions I have.

Hope that helps,
Ed

That does help. If you come across a battery and get your temp Gun working let me know what temp you come up with!

Back